DjangoBooks.com

HELP...Guitar goes completely out of tune when I break an E string!

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
Hello - I use a Mateos Oval hole guitar, great guitar but the first one I have ever owned that goes way out of tune when I break the high E string (sharp). Could that be a flimsy tailpiece? If anyone has experience with this problem I could sure use the input. I tried to finish the song out last gig after i broke the string and I sounded like I was playing some Romulan microtonal guitar!! bad!

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,457
    That's pretty normal for a good quality GJ guitar. I would guess it's more about the neck and the top than the tailpiece, because those are the more moving parts of the instrument. The relief in the neck is counteracted by the pullback from the strings (which is why you should only sight down the neck and make any adjustments on the truss rod whilst the strings are tuned to tension, by the way), so when one string snaps all that balance goes out of whack.

You can get guitars that are built like a truck and barely move, they have a thick top and a stiff neck, and don't respond much to the strings. But these are usually bad, cheap guitars that sound like crap - better to have a luthier guitar that sounds beautiful :)

And I don't think you can really do anything much about it. Just put on a new string on and tune up again.
    constantinejuanderer
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O
    Stop breaking strings. Hope that helps.
    constantineElí Saúl
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    Thanks Wim.
  • I think Wim is right on. Just a side effect of a lightly built probably very responsive guitar.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,018
    I think I broke a lot of strings in the first 5 years I played gypsy jazz. Sometimes 1-2 times a month, especially the D string and E string. Since i passed the 5 year mark, I hardly break them ever. So, my long term advice: don't worry about it, it's probably just a side-effect of your right hand technique.

For comparison: I play 12 hours a week on average and change my strings only once every 6 months. I also don't use the light guage .10s any more... I use the .11s.

I was watching Stephane Wrembel jam once, and he broke his E string and just kept on going full speed without regard. Since then, I no longer think about string breakages as much of a show-stopper...
    constantine
  • Elí SaúlElí Saúl Toluca, Mexico.New Dell'Arte DG-H2
    djangology wrote: »
    I think I broke a lot of strings in the first 5 years I played gypsy jazz. Sometimes 1-2 times a month, especially the D string and E string. Since i passed the 5 year mark, I hardly break them ever. So, my long term advice: don't worry about it, it's probably just a side-effect of your right hand technique.

For comparison: I play 12 hours a week on average and change my strings only once every 6 months.

How do you manage? Strings life last for me around 2 months (barely), after that the intonation issues due to being wore out get too annoying and I change set. This not just on Manouche but in any guitar I use regularly, however I play way more than 12 hours at week so that might count as well.
  • ShemiShemi Cardiff✭✭✭
    I think the oils and sweat of people's hands can differ from player to player hence why the same make of strings can last longer for one and not another. Of course, this is one ofany variables.