DjangoBooks.com

Bad times for Django's music...

QuadropentaQuadropenta New England USANew
in History Posts: 116
We are lucky to be in a time when exploring Django's music is easy to do.
There were times when it was nearly impossible.
I moved to Boston in 1974 ready to research & learn retro string music. The only 2
Django recordings available were early 1930s sessions with very stiff rhythm
and a 1953 Blue Star session overdubbed with other guitars. Neither was enjoyable
to listen to. No one playing this style, so I played western swing, bluegrass and
swing with jazz musicians [who would rather have been playing Miles Davis tunes].
Seven years later I met someone who had studied with Harry Volpe and finally
got to play this music. The story goes on and on... Bought a PC in 1994 and
searched the World Wide Web with AltaVista for "Django". Nothing.
It's so much better now. :^)
altonScoredogMichaelHorowitzbbwood_98

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    WORD!
  • morriconemorricone Asterstein, Koblenz, GermanyNew Cigano GJ10 Harley Benton HBMC 500
    Fo'Sho
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
    Love that early 30's stuff !! Sounds like a dream to have found those recordings and swinging rhythm. The Ultraphone recordings are so far ahead of their time!
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!
    So, Credit where credit is due - from an OG to the OG's @archtop (anyone remember VHS - to experience Samois when you couldn't go!!) @djangobooks @chango @Ted Gottsegen @patrus le sommelier and so many more . . Helping get the message out there; and share this amazing music with people.