DjangoBooks.com

Tone Dexter

JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
Hey Guys,

Is anyone using one of these for gypsy jazz? I'm considering getting one for my double bass, but the idea that it might make amplifying the Dupont easier too is very interesting. Just wondering if some of you have tried it lately and had any success/failure.

For those who don't know what it is, see here: and

All the best,

Jon

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Happy user here...you have to train it correctly but using it on my gig tonight. Many people are having success with it. Happy to share experience if need be.

Scoredog wrote: »
    Happy to share experience if need be.

Yes please!

John Jorgenson is using it too.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • JonJon melbourne, australiaProdigy Dupont MD50B, '79 Favino
    Yeah, I'd love to hear how well it's gone for you. Thanks!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,730
    Hey Jon, I've been curious how come you picked up to play bass?
    I mean, some say playing a different instrument can actually support getting better with your main instrument.
    Or is it simply that you like playing bass?
    Hi Buco, it's actually something I've wanted to do for 20 years, but just finally got around to taking seriously. Double Bass has been my favourite instrument to listen to since the first time I saw and heard one live. Also, I like bass players as a group of people :)
    Buco
    Got it, thanks.
    So, I can take up bass seriously in about 18.5 years myself.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 867
    I had lunch with John a few weeks back and he is loving it also. It has a direct out which is great for concerts. I use it both direct at times and into an AER 60 for quiet gigs like what I played tonight. The trick is training it correctly, it seems simple from the manual but the **** makers mostly deal with regular acoustics so getting air into the sound is important and they mic em a good foot away when training. I have found the best way to train GJ gits is get a good mic like a DPA place it on the guitar and train it there (get rid of the air). Moving the mic around will give a different tone so try it a few different ways. I would think an MD 50 which I believe is what you have Jon should be an easy instrument to train as it is dry. Once you have a good sound trained you can use it on any guitar. Fun thing is you could train a Selmer and play it on a Dupont...;). ..you know you need a piezo or even a Carlos sensor will work great. Hope that helps!
    JonBuco
    Hey @Scoredog , thanks so much for that. The main use at the moment will be for the bass, but it looks like I might finally have to get a pickup put in my Dupont... Have been using mics and a Guzz for years, but this certainly seems to take some of the hassle out.

I've got lots of good mics in my studio to experiment with training it, so that should be interesting. Still love the electric sound, but that's not right for everything. Really appreciate the advice!

Jon
    one thing I do along with my piezo on my MD 50 is i have a movable Carlos sensor which I move around to different guitars. Because it is attached by 2 sided tape it allows for a bit more feedback but still quite usable and I get to play all my guitars because of it.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Score, we should try the Dexter with a Schertler pickup???