DjangoBooks.com

Opinions Please!...Preference to Placing a New Album Online (listeners preference)

ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
in Welcome Posts: 867
So we the Idiomatiques are a bit torn.
We have finished our new album (currently in replication).

what would you do if it was you...?

As times have changed do we?...
Place the entire album on line for your listening pleasure. If you like you buy...
Place snippets in hope that they entice you the listener to buy the album (If we were highly established we'd probably go this route).
Have a link to dl mp3s and go the hell with it, donate if you like...:)

Anything else?

Thanks!

Craig

Comments

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Hey Craig, just an off-the-cuff idea for you. Maybe try to do some value added thing for people that purchase your album. Like possibly include chord charts for people that actually purchase the album so they can play along with the tunes if they feel like it. Or transcribe a solo or two to include for album purchasers.
    ScoredogElí SaúlJojo
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Good idea...we already have the original charts...transcribing of course will take work but could offer that...thanks!
  • BonesBones Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,319
    Yeah tough call. Maybe start with snippets and see how that goes??? Or maybe snippets and one or two whole songs???
    Scoredog
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    Six years ago a friend posted a full 10:46 minute progressive rock instrumental(40 years experience) beautiful multi-movement arrangement with keys, guitars, ebo guitar, drums, alto sax(touring pro Mark Lewis) - titled "Forest of Wonder Suite". The other seven original compositions were "snippets". He had 1.6 Million listened hits and did not sell one 99 cent purchase/download. Hard to believe, but TRUE!
    ScoredogBuco
  • psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40
    I would suggest using PledgeMusic. There are so many ways to offer your music ("product") to people who are legimately interested in your ensemble, your music. You can create different platforms (MP3, CD, Vinyl), t-shirts, the above-mentioned chord charts or tabs, "we will play at your house for $xxxx"...your imagination is the limit. Check out how some of the bands have represented themselves...here is one great example:

https://pledgemusic.com/projects/sincity

These days, if you put your music online, there are any number of ways to 'steal' it...if you choose to use PledgeMusic, your legitimate fans will help fund your project; there is a value to that...you're doing it for the right reasons. The studio time wasn't free; neither was the CD replication. At least you can break even, or get a case a strings if you do well enough...I jest, but I hope to make a point.

I am not affiliated with PledgeMusic in any way; I love the fact that it is FAN-driven, where a band/group/music that might not otherwise get to see and be heard gets a chance to reach anyone and everyone. I am a big fan of PledgeMusic, and buy alot of music from it, because I believe in the Independent Artist, no matter the style.
    Scoredog
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    Thanks guys, great thread because of you.
  • CD's are at the moment more of a souvenir sold at gigs rather than items online. We have sold a few downloads but only a few over the year. Probably to friends LOL.

We did a CD release party gig, with a $10 cover charge and $10.00 per CD (it was really just an EP of 7 songs totally 30 min) and recovered the production cost in that one deal. We usually sell a few at each gig
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    edited December 2017 Posts: 867
    That's what we did...last album we got our money back and then some all from gigs. On line was negligible.
    Directly offering a download sort of devalues the hard work that you put in it. I don't think I would just put it out there...I think. Thing is, once it's published, if someone wants a free copy they'll find a way to get one. But why make it easy.
    Maybe offer album download with a ticket purchase to the show. Or try to come up with some kind of barter. Try to get people to do some marketing for you in exchange for a download. Spread the word on FB? Maybe it's silly, I don't know. But some kind of barter perhaps.
    If/when music streaming becomes a viable source of income for musicians, it'll become an easy choice then.
    I'd still probably make it available to streaming services. Sure you won't make any money but today it's about making a presence and building a following. More of a marketing platform.
    Scoredog
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Personally, I like CDs but I'm old skool. But yeah what Buco said I def would not just give it away. I've heard the whole album and it is WAY too good to give away IMHO. Clearly tons of effort and creativity went into it.
    Samples and pay for downloads. You'll sell the CDs at gigs like before. It's fun for the audience to go to a gig and be able to buy a CD right from the band. I do that every chance I get when I see a band I like.
    Scoredog