DjangoBooks.com

Christiaan van Hemert’s recent videos and Patreon page

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
in Technique Posts: 341
Christiaan van Hemert has put up a series of videos recently where he has reworked some concepts he started out with years ago. His gypsy rhythm video, for example, it’s a very straightforward yet compact and easily understood explanation with examples. He has a number of other well organized recent videos, again reworking some earlier concepts, with new approaches based on his own experience. Check out his YouTube page and subscribe to it.

I applaud his effort and I would like to go a step further. He mentioned in passing, at the end of one of the videos, that he has a Patreon page. It immediately occurred to me that I should support him. I’ve learned a lot from him over the years and I think he’s a great teacher. I signed up to sponsor him for five dollars a month. As lessons go, I owe him a lot more. I firmly believe in financially supporting artists, especially when they are so willing to share their experience and information with us. I suggest that you take a look at his recent videos and then think about supporting him at Patreon.
NylonDavehotclubdebramptonJosechikyBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• NylonDaveNylonDave Glasgow✭✭✭ Perez Valbuena Flamenca 1991
    edited January 2018 Posts: 462
    Yup Christian is working his ass off. He has a real interesting perspective as both a master musician and a relative newcomer to guitar. Makes him both relatable and reliable. He even has a video on arranging for strings which was one of the most enjoyable hours of TV for me since the open university disappeared (yup I really am this nerdy).

There is so much half baked advice around from half baked players so it I agree wholeheartedly that when someone takes the time as he has to put out balanced material which is based on experience, who'll blow the whistle on bull$hit conventions of non functional jazz methodology and who will unflinchingly show his current ability warts and all for our benefit he should be not just applauded but supported also.

Here's to him.

And good call Chief, I for one really miss having him around here more.

D.

Charles Meadows
  • Brad HermanBrad Herman San Francisco, CANew JWC Modele Jazz, Stankevicius Alena, Alexander Polyakov Selmer #6
    Good call. Signed up for monthly donations
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    Christiaan is the ONLY person I've ever hired to do some transcriptions for me who gave me transcriptions that were almost always flawless.. I say almost because little typos happen (to me too). He catches the little details that many miss.

I've hired professional transcribers who do this for a living and caught lots of things that they missed, not so with Christiaan!

Unfortunately, he has a life outside transcribing so I don't get to hire his services as much as I could
    McQ
  • hotclubdebramptonhotclubdebrampton Brampton, Ontario - Canada✭✭
    Agreed, I have been following his recent videos; the amount of valuable info, tips, instruction is fabulous!
  • This is great. I watch these videos as soon as they are released. In each video, here is at least one bit of information I can extract and put (at least) into practice. It's well worth contributing a few bucks a month to support the production of these focused lessons. Thanks for reminding us that musicians of this caliber who give so much to the community deserve to be compensated.
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    I suggest that you take a look at his recent videos and then think about supporting him at Patreon.
    Thanks for pointing to this - just signed up.

I've always enjoyed Christiaan's various video series but his recent crop is really top drawer.