DjangoBooks.com

Archtop and Argentines?

This may seem an odd question, but I’m very curious. I have a Gretsch Synchromatic Jazz guitar (one pickup, single coil, cat eye ‘f’ holes). I’ve been playing it for the last few months unplugged. Recently, I decided to start saving for a SelMac (and I must say the Cordoba looks very good). In the meanwhile, I have the Gretsch to practice on. Here’s my question, could I use Argentine strings on the archtop to get a similar, or ballpark sound of a SelMac (acoustically the Gretsch has great “bark”), and if I do this, can I still plug into an amp using those strings?
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    I tried this about a year ago. I didn't work. Just sounded bad and I waisted a set of strings.

The Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBop (B-B111) are great sounding strings: http://www.bigcitystrings.com/tie.htm

The flat wounds are great too if you like that tone.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • valdaevaldae new orleansNew
    I had a feeling that might be the case. Oh well, I had to ask. Still, better to know than to blow a set of strings.
    "The mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled." - Plutarch