DjangoBooks.com

Removing adhesive

I've been using the white adhesive packaged with the Ischell pickups to hold my magnetic pickup in place. Since I'm not removing the pickup that often, some if this has stuck to the top of the guitar. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to get this off? Lighter fluid?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Yikes!!! Lighter fluid??? (no smoking) :)

Better ask Craig B. what finish he used first (assuming it's ur Bumgarner) and I'd contact Ischell too.

I've used that putty stuff that comes with the Schertler pickups and that can leave a slight residue but that comes off easily with just light buffing with a clean soft cloth so as to not scratch the finish. Also, be sure that your hands and the putty are clean before you apply the putty/pickup so you don't embed any abrasive dirt/etc in the putty.
  • That's a good point. I suggested lighter fluid as it has been suggested for cleaning in other posts around here. Naptha, specifically.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    edited January 2018 Posts: 795
    Naptha works well for gum and putty removal on most finishes. I have used it to remove Ischell putty remains successfully on varnish finish like your Derecho, but also nitro, urethane lacquer and shellac (French polish). Naptha is available under that name in most hardware stores, I know Lowes has it here locally. Another good source is Ronsonol, a cigarette lighter fluid. I'm told it is highly refined naptha and comes in a small squirt bottle for under $3, I use it a lot now for ease of handling. I buy it at the grocery store.
  • Thanks for both replies, Craig.
    Craig Bumgarner