DjangoBooks.com

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    It's a dream come true to have this amazing instrument here!
    dm7b5
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    @Ted Gottsegen

That's an interesting observation. I'll have to go back and listen to some of the classic tracks for the rhythm sound of Joseph and Baro.

I actually have three Macs with resonators here: #103 and #98 along with Jean Barault's replica which was made for the Django film last year.

They are all pretty different. Despite some of the stories you hear about people ripping the resonators out or just not liking them, it's clear that all three are outstanding guitars and it's unlikely the resonator is restricting the resonance of these instruments in any way. #103 is actually quite bright and very loud, which was a bit of an eye opener as I figured these Macs would be limited to more of a rhythm only role. However, after playing #103, you can easily imagine that Django's leads would have had easily had enough projection to be heard over his accompanists.

#98 also has a resonator, but it is very different, with a much more full bodied, rounded sound that produces flugelhorn like leads pianistic chords. A joy to play and clearly not limited to only rhythm.

The Barault is also a wonderful instrument....it's more like #98 as it's darker and more full bodied. Jean did an incredible job with it....you can hardly tell it from the real ones!

'm
    dm7b5