DjangoBooks.com

installing tailpiece leather question

blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
hi, would someone please explain the process for installing leather under the tailpiece. how far up the piece should it extend, do the screws go through the leather, is it glued into place, if so, around the edges, just the corners, the whole piece, and, which color of leather sounds best? thank you
shut up and play your guitar

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    edited May 2006 Posts: 622
    Vary good post...

"how far up the piece should it extend" - About 6mm
    "do the screws go through the leather" - Yes
    "is it glued into place" - No
    "just the corners" - No
    "the whole piece" - if your still talking about glue then - No
    "which color of leather sounds best" - This is where things get really technical. This is a very individual and personal process and should not be taken lightly. If you are asking the question then you really should take the time to think seriously about the answer. I'll try and answer your question with a question. What color allows you to play your best?

Cheers,
    Josh
  • ChopperChopper French AlpsNew
    Lake placid blue, sunburst, with green sparkling stars works well for me :wink:
    Chopper,

I thought I was the only one!
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    Chopper wrote:
    Lake placid blue, sunburst, with green sparkling stars works well for me :wink:

I like to match it to the color of the silk on the strings. I use loop end Argentine 11's (with red silk) so I have red leather under my tail piece :wink:
    -Peter
    pmh425,

Nice idea, but the green stars won't fit :cry: Maybe Josh can help with one of his tricks.
  • blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
    thank you josh ! you do mean that the leather should extend about 6mm after passing over the top of the guitar, as opposed using to a 6mm long
    piece of leather, yes? your answer about leather color was very insightful, i'm sure there are doctors specializing in the psychology of colors with all sorts of statistics to support what you said. also, about that plastic rectangle, is there a preffered wood to replace it with, i'm guessing rosewood or ebony. how thick could/should the piece of wood be? sorry if these questions are lame, i just want to do everything properly the first time thanks
    shut up and play your guitar
  • pmh425pmh425 Middle Island, NY✭✭✭✭
    Chopper wrote:
    pmh425,

Nice idea, but the green stars won't fit :cry: Maybe Josh can help with one of his tricks.
    You could use green sparkles and glue them to the silk at the end of the strings!!! :)
    -Peter
    The wood can be any thing you want. Most of the time it is Ebony but anything can be used. The thickness is not more then about 5mm normally but you could make it as thick as you like. you could even build in a little door to hold picks or to reveal a hidden symbol or extra shiny star from your tailpiece leather. It just really depends on how far you want to take it.

Cheers,
    Josh
    :D

You guys have really a good sense of humor, I like it !

Blindjimmy : I feel that you want to get the best out of your guitar, sorry for the jokes, but the secret relies on listening, learning, playing. Gear is not that important.
    Cheers to that! But the leather is a good idea to protect your investment over time. : )

Josh