DjangoBooks.com

BYO My first Bridge

Finally got it down and really wanted to share this! I've spent the last week working on some jigs to help me replicate some of Tommy Davies Bridges(mostly for my own use), and the results are pretty good. The angle of the saddle needs a little adjustment but otherwise, I am pretty happy with it. I will do a few more this week and start comparing materials. This first one is Maccasar Ebony(on the left, Tommys Rosewood bridge is on the right), but I have blocks of Ziricote and Rosewood to get into as well.
Buco

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    edited May 2018 Posts: 3,319
    Cool!! BTW I edited ur title as we typically preface 'build your own' posts with 'BYO' to make the search easier. Maybe we need a BYO category too??? :-)

Do u have pics of ur jigs/process?

thanks
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Thanks! A BYO category would be great! I will get out to the garage and snap some pictures of the jigs sometime tomorrow.
  • Joshl-mJoshl-m New
    Ok, Here are a couple shots of what I have been using. First, I built a platform for my drill press and a fixture, for the router, to be mounted on the drill press table. I like the idea of a compact wok station that was easily convertible. Something I could bring inside and set up in the basement through the winter. My garage isn't insulated and its too cold to work out there year round. Next, I made a simple jig with some scrap wood and toggle clamps. This jig takes care of the 'Arch' between the feet, the Hollow and the profile of the top part of the foot.
    After that, I made something to clamp the bridge in place while the saddle is routed with a raised panel bit. I got the idea for this from Polack Guitars. They have a very short clip on IMGUR, showing how they route the saddle. This one takes some practice but its worth it. I get the perfect angle and width of the saddle and then finish it off on the belt sander. Hope that explanation, along with the pictures, makes sense.
    Cheers
    BucoBonest-bird