DjangoBooks.com

Best strings for Dupont MD50

Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
in Welcome Posts: 432
I've got a great 1994 Dupont MD50. I've always used Argie 11s.

But I accidentally bought 10s this time and I actually like them better I think.

Any personal observations?

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Either, 11's easier to pick, 10's easier to vibrato...you might want to try the heavier gauge on the E and B strings and the lighter on the others so the guitar is a bit less plinky on the E and B... I do that sometimes.
    Charles Meadows
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited June 2018 Posts: 705
    My Dupont MD-100 had a loose truss rod. **** did a quick repair and adjustment at one of our Bay Area Gypsy Swing Club meetings, so I switched from 11s to 10s, and love the way it plays. It might have been a little louder with 11s, but sounds more authentic with 10s. I normally play with Galli or Argies.
  • vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M
    I love the slinky feel of the 10s but the 11s definitely produce more volume
  • I pick the strings for their sound with whatever guitar I am playing.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    It might depend on the thickness of the guitar top.
    My guitar has a very thin top and 11s sound too tense on it, they kinda suffocate the guitar, overdriving the top. Yeah it's probably louder but with 10s the guitar can breathe, relax and the sound is more open, pleasant to the ear, gets some nice overtones etc... So in my case it's a trade, one for the other and I decided I prefer the 10s.
    I used to use high E 11 but lately I don't feel like I need that. I don't know if it's the particular strings or I changed my playing but high E 10 sounds fine.
    t-bird
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • That @Buco is the essence of the string thing. The tension of the set, core, and winding all influence the tone. More tension = more downforce which when optimized gives the ideal performance of the individual top. Too much down dulls the tone and can start to warp things.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • I’ve only ever used 11s on my ‘94 Dupont MD 30 but y’all are making me reconsider!
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018 Posts: 867
    Don't Go to the Lite Side!... ;)
    swiessler