DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Vs Hahl

I am trying to decide a high end guitar. I am in between Dupont VRB and Hahl gitano super deluxe O. Actually I dont like too much ornaments so hahl does not look good to me but read a lot of beautiful things about it and dupont looks just fine but heard and read bad things about that these days mourice dupont does not
Make guitars and his luthiers are not making a good job :(. Can any one help me? Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• edited June 2018 Posts: 3,707
    I suspect that Michael may still have some sound clips of those two models of guitar. I think they have somewhat different sound concepts so best to have a listen and see which you prefer.

I would be very surprised if you found any real difference in build quality between their top end guitars,
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018 Posts: 867
    VRB is a more traditional in sound, Hahl is a bit more complex modern sounding though still very Gypsy sounding. Both have a fairly modern feeling neck. I have a Hahl D and it's good for a lot of things though not everything, the O might be. The VRB is a great instrument, every note rings very even.

Hahl D...example

VRB example recorded into an iPhone so not totally fair.

BucoKlausUS
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    You should consider whether or not you want a shorter scale, since Hahl is one of the few builders who builds a very good shorter scale guitar. The VR is probably 670 mm, while the Hahl could be either the standard 670 mm or maybe 650 mm (or possibly 660).
    Scoredog
    Good point,

I believe the Hahl O's are 670 and the D 650.
  • ybileydiybileydi Istanbul New Busato luxe
    Scoredog wrote: »
    VRB is a more traditional in sound, Hahl is a bit more complex modern sounding though still very Gypsy sounding. Both have a fairly modern feeling neck. I have a Hahl D and it's good for a lot of things though not everything, the O might be. The VRB is a great instrument, every note rings very even.

Hahl D...example

VRB example recorded into an iPhone so not totally fair.

Thanks for the examples, its great. I think I like the Dupont a bit more.
    One thing I can say for sure, the VRB is the crunchiest rhythm guitar I have played, it almost sounds like it is going through a distortion box when playing with a strong rake rhythm feel. You can back off to lose some of that crunch. I'm not sure I have ever played a vintage instrument that crunches this much. You may even find it too crunchy but be aware you are getting that with this guitar so you won't get a pure rhythm tone (I like the crunch btw). It is also extremely dry, way drier than the Hahl D but again being a D may have something to do with that.
  • ybileydiybileydi Istanbul New Busato luxe
    One thing I can say for sure, the VRB is the crunchiest rhythm guitar I have played, it almost sounds like it is going through a distortion box when playing with a strong rake rhythm feel. You can back off to lose some of that crunch. I'm not sure I have ever played a vintage instrument that crunches this much. You may even find it too crunchy but be aware you are getting that with this guitar so you won't get a pure rhythm tone (I like the crunch btw). It is also extremely dry, way drier than the Hahl D but again being a D may have something to do with that.

Thanks for the tip. Actually I just strated to gypsy jazz. I have been playing electric guitars for a while but I had my first guitar a month a go. I have a dupont busato luxe. And I love it, but I like guitars maybe more than the music :). So I might not be able to tell the difference so much. I want to have one of the best and stick with it. I have talked with Michael and I decided to go with the VRB. Hope it will be agood one and I can play with it a long life
    From what I have been told by a number of players who have had VRB's is they are very consistent so it is almost impossible to get a bad one. I'll be curious what your number is...if you get it new one enjoy the Cognac, I like the guitar more than the drink, both are acquired tastes to a certain extent, i'm not sure I want to put in the time to understand the finer details of Cognac...the guitar yes!

Since you are new to this...one piece of advice...the guitar will change drastically as you change or learn about the style, it will reveal personalities you did not know existed if you put the time in. if there is a problem, try lighter strings , maybe change your pick, but the guitar will be great, you will need to find how to make it sound great whether it is learning new techniques or understanding the GJ medium more. Or you can just say i have a great guitar and enjoy it for what it is.
    BucoPetrovt-birdBillDaCostaWilliams
  • PetrovPetrov ✭✭

Since you are new to this...one piece of advice...the guitar will change drastically as you change or learn about the style, it will reveal personalities you did not know existed if you put the time in. if there is a problem, try lighter strings , maybe change your pick, but the guitar will be great, you will need to find how to make it sound great whether it is learning new techniques or understanding the GJ medium more. Or you can just say i have a great guitar and enjoy it for what it is.

This is so true!
    ybileydi
  • I have a DuPont MD20 with maple back sides and neck. Its a short scale D hole with enough rhythm bark to break through even monster jams. Very clear almost pianistic note separation in chords. Not that loud on single string but I have never played a guitar with better chordal note separation.
    ybileydi
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed