DjangoBooks.com

Audio Technica Mount Contraption

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
After using the standard mount options for my AT 831b, I came up with this contraption to mimic the gizmo that comes with a much more expensive DPA microphone. It combines the Unimount with a Heimu guitar clip (available on Amazon for about 17 bucks).

Am loving the very acoustic sound of this microphone. This mounting contraption give me the flexibility to shape the sound and avoid most feedback.

What d guys think?

AndrewUlledm7b5

Comments

Looks great. But I'm confused, that doesn't look like 831 mic? Looks more like DPA.
    Actually I just ran into a brand I've never heard of, Superlux, and their instrument mic, PRA-383, looks like yours, budget priced and gets good reviews:
    http://avlex.com/products/pra-383/
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • spudspud paris, france✭✭✭✭
    Buco wrote: »
    Looks great. But I'm confused, that doesn't look like 831 mic? Looks more like DPA.
    he has put the 831 inside the audio technica unimount (which looks like the dpa ).

nice find - i have been looking for something similar. it's a bit bulky but looks solid enough

• psychebillypsychebilly Kentucky, USA
    Well, at least it will keep your right-hand position right... ;)
    Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
    @spud ahhh thanks man!
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Yeah, the close-up picture makes it look a little bigger and bulkier than it really is. I should take a distance shot for a better perspective.

The DPA's setup hardware is more elegant, but there's nothing else out there for any other microphone to mimic their setup other than what I've put together (I think, anyway). On the plus side, it's versatile, completely customizable, it's out of the way of my hands and legs, it offers a little give before straining the microphone cord in case of a errant pull, and it doesn't leave a mark on my guitar.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    And another thing . . .

DPA has a video about placing it's mike for emphasizing various soundscapes. What it shows is that small variations of direction and distance can make a noticeable difference in sound. My contraption gives me a lot more flexibility in placing and adjusting the mic on the fly than the included mounts and even the Unimount on its own.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    It remind me of this... :)

5rn3x2g47pqt.jpeg
  • bohemewarblerbohemewarbler St. Louis, MO✭✭✭✭ Jordan Wencek No.26, Altamira M01D-12 fret
    I like this mic set up that both Rocky Gresset and Ghali Hadefi are using in this video. Barely visible but effective.

Anybody know how this works?

Also love the playing style of both of these gentlemen.

Here are couple of more views: from further back, not so clunky.

If Audio Technica would come out with something more elegant looking, I’d buy it. I don’t see much else that can do what this setup can.

On the other hand, I could just get a really nice microphone, put it on a stand in front of me, and run that through my David amp. The amp has a line out that I can plug into a PA and I can then use the amp as my monitor. It’s not like I’m walking around doing the Chuck Berry chicken walk while playing “Minor Swing.”

On that note dos anybody do that: good microphone into an amp?
    My buddy John in Chicago does that, mic in front of him. He went through a few AT, AKG, magnetic pickups, ended up doing what you said. More work but it works.