DjangoBooks.com

DIY: DPA-style gooseneck mount for Audio Technica microphones

V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
Fun project of mine I thought I'd share. A DPA-style gooseneck mount for my trusty Audio Technica AT831b held on with... suction cups?!

Picture attached and more details here: http://paniquejazz.com/blog/project-dpa-style-gooseneck-mount-for-audio-technica-instrument-microphones/
Buco

Comments

• Interesting
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    I’ve got a working setup (see earlier posts and attached pic) but this is much more elegant. Just ant to be sure the sanction cups hold for an entire gig. Is it gig-tested? Ever consider constructing a spring-loaded clamp system like the DPA?

Nevertheless, I’m ready to be a beta tester. How do I get one?
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Have not gigged on it yet, but will let you know. But as a trial I did leave it attached overnight with the microphone attached hanging in the vertical position, so it passed the gravity test :)

My initial plan was to do a clamp-style but ultimately it's too bulky, more fragile and difficult to design. Thought I'd try the minimalist approach first. So far, so good.
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar
    Got your first set of mic attachments. Will this available soon?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 6,152
    Thanks for posting this Vic! I'm inspired to give it a go as many customers would like something like this.

I should also mention that the K&K Meridian has also been a great alternative to the DPA mics. At $239 its a pretty easy and inexpensive way to get a DPA like setup: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/k-and-k-meridian-microphone-system

otv7oszedxtr.jpg

Michael, how do the Audio Technica units compare with the Meridian?

Anybody else have one?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 6,152
    The meridian has a better sounding mic than the Pro70 but I’d say the Audio Technica 831B has a better frequency response than the meridian. With that said, the meridian does the job nicely, especially if you use their pro preamp which allows you to eq it. It can be a little too bright otherwise.
    This just occurred to me, you can actually use the meridian clamp: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/k-and-k-meridian-clamp

to mount the Audio Technica 831B with Unimount like a DPA:

ovi3bf9vqstb.jpg

The regular unimount works but the longer 9mm one might be better: http://www.djangobooks.com/Item/audio-technica-atm350ul

@Michael Horowitz just picked up the Meridian Solo, supposedly brand new, for a very low price. Should it work reasonably well with the LR Baggs Para? And is there any merit to their claim of high feedback resistance?
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    @Buco I don't think you'd be able to use the Para DI as the Meridian requires phantom power which I don't believe the Para DI would provide.

The Meridian has good feedback resistance for a mic, not as good as a DPA, but better than many other lavalier mics. But it's still a mic and won't really work well unless you're playing through a full PA system with monitors. Just plugging it into an amp won't yield very good results, except for maybe very low volumes.