DjangoBooks.com

Gig bag suggestions?

Anybody have a favorite gig bag for a short scale model? Not looking for anything too expensive, as it's for an inexpensive guitar (Cigano GJ-15) but I'd rather pay more than the generic Guitar Center acoustic bags cost and get something with a good zipper and decent padding and storage...

Comments

• TubaphoneTubaphone Kansas Mateos Django
    these Boulder gigbags are fantastic:

djangobooks.com/Item/BOULDER-BAG-ALPINE-SERIES-BLUE-CB-360BL

Tough fabric, good padding, bombproof zipper, remarkably comfy backpack straps, plenty of pocket storage... I have one for a banjo that is probably 12+ years old, has been to any number of festivals and gigs, and is still in amazing shape.
    jeffmatz
  • jeffmatzjeffmatz ChicagoNew
    Good to know, saw those in the djangobooks shop but had never heard of the brand before.
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso
    I highly recommend the Mono brand. I’ve had my gig bag for almost three years, taken it to many outdoor festivals and on rainy Amsterdam bike rides, and it still looks and works like new.
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    adrian wrote: »
    I highly recommend the Mono brand. I’ve had my gig bag for almost three years, taken it to many outdoor festivals and on rainy Amsterdam bike rides, and it still looks and works like new.

I agree with @adrian the Mono gig bags are awesome. I use one for my AJL. I also use Mono gig bags for my electric guitars. Lots of protection and very durable. You can buy the Tick attachment and add even more storage space if needed.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    The TKL 5415 is sized for a dreadnought, so a short-scale Cigano will fit. (I wouldn't worry about exact fit--it's a gig bag, not a hard case.) I've been using this design for something like 15 years, and it's sturdy and practical. Mind you, I never use one when I have to stack gear in the back of the wagon--for that I want a foam case with some crush resistance, like the old ProTec or current Travelites. But the TKL bag is well padded and has lotsa pocketses.
    Good info all...

Mono I know well, have a Mono bag for my tele, it really is made well. Adrian, what mono size seems to hold a GJ guitar best, drednaught sized?

The mono ain't cheap, but chances are I'll upgrade guitar wise in a few years anyway...let's face it, I'm a guitar player...there's always another guitar:)
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018 Posts: 325
    Another vote for mono. I'm a city guy and use gig bags pretty much 99% of the time. Before the mono I would burn through bags in a matter of months. broken straps, zippers, separating seams. For years the mono has held up and still feels strong as day one. I throw selmacs, archtops (up to 17") and any other kind of acoustic in there no problem. One unfortunate airplane situation necessatated checking in my guitar, it survived baggage claim no problem, but obviously carry on is best.

Someone mentioned the add-on bag ("tick"). I think it's overpriced. Get a travel zip up bag (the kind for toiletries) and some caribeners and it adds extra storage.

My only complaint is the main pocket has some weird choices in terms of layout. Always feels cluttered in there. And the cable loop is always in the way. I'd like to have an inner pocket on the outer side of that pocket.
    So any comment on which mono fits a Selmac style best?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    The Dreadnought. The other (classical) size bag is much too tight for a gypsy guitar. Also I think these Mono bags are kinda overpriced, even more so for a product which doesn't really fit these instruments correctly. You really don't have to spend that much to get a good gig bag.
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    About fit and gig bags: If there's enough padding, a-little-bit-bigger is not a problem, while too-small is just, um, too small. And Selmacs are roughly dreadnought size, so that's the size bag to look for. Because I'm not using them in situations where crush-resistance or drop-from-a-great-height matter, the TKL 5415 bags I use are fine for anything from classical to dread to 16-inch archtop (and just a bit too small for a 17-inch archtop). And the range of outside pockets accept just about any gear short of a three-ring binder or 10-inch tablet. If I didn't have to lug an amp, I could walk into my weekly sit-in with everything in one hand (or on one shoulder).

The Mono and other high-end bags are very nice, but after a lot of searching, I've found the TKL the most cost-effective combination of design and features. But then, I'm used to them.