DjangoBooks.com

Jimmy Rosenberg

MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
edited November 2006 in Welcome Posts: 6,152
This was sent to me by a freind of Jimmy Rosenberg's:

Dear friends,

Jimmy is out of jail.

We took our caravan down on Monday 15th. to Asten in the South of Holland, where we were made very welcome by the families, in particular by Jimmys mother Engelina.

After a fitful nights sleep, we donned our nice clothes and drove the thirty kilometres to the jail which is in the cheerfully named village of Grave.
When we arrived, Jimmy had just stepped out of the gates
and the television crew from Amsterdam were already filming.
We all greeted each other, and Jimmy got on one knee to play on the Harmsworth and Willis spruce top D hole that we had brought down.
He had not played a real guitar for five months, having only a nylon stringed toy whilst incarcerated.

He went fearlessly into 'Improvisation Number I' by Django, and it was a perfect start to his new life.

From Grave we went into a heavenly cafe for coffee.
The cafe proprietor was surprised to find a film crew working whilst we had coffee, and Jimmy played a few beautiful tunes, and off we drove to his Dads house in Gemert, closeby.

There, we had the great pleasure of listening to Jimmy play both with Mekki, his father, and Nomy, his younger brother. Considering that they had not seen each other for months, it was hard to find fault in the swinging technicalities of this unique duo.

They played for a few hours to everyones great pleasure, especially the film crew, who interviewed him as part of a longer term documentary, and meanwhile, we were making our own film.

Later we drove back to his mother, and enjoyed a few more hours of fun, but we declined to drive back to Gemert where an impromptu concert had been arranged.

In the morning, we decamped and said farewell to Engelina, and towed the caravan to Gemert for a farewell to Jimmy.

We are going to take Jimmy to the Isle of Man, between 19th. and 23rd. June where a music series is being filmed. We hope that good might come from this.

If the logistics work out, we shall be at Samois on Saturday 24th. June, with Jimmy and Mekki.

Martin Taylor will be at both gigs, Isle of Man, and Samois.
Nev Willis, was kind enough to let me have a guitar for Jimmy, but it has to be paid for soon.

Thanks must be expressed also to Bjørn who has volunteered to pay the rest of the fine, enabling a new dawn to break for Jimmys future.

The film is a mini blockbuster. To anyone familiar with Jimmys playing, I can tell you that it is still on fire, and his new ideas seem to be taking him bang into bebop territory. Look out you guys who have mastered bebop, a new kid is coming to the block, and he is going to make some space for himself.

Jimmy has asked me to thank you all for supporting him, especially during his lowest hours, and has promised a new beginning, so keep up the support...

Comments

• UltimoUltimo CanadaNew
    Awesome !

Thanks for the info ! I just can't wait to see him playing live one day ! :D
    “It is not worth the bother of killing yourself, since you always kill yourself too late.”

Emil. M. Cioran
  • pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    Good tidings indeed.

After I heard Django, Jimmy is the first contemporary Gypsy Jazz guitarist I heard and he had a lot to do with me getting interested in this music.

I can't wait to hear what he records next!
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Brilliant news! Bring him over to DFNW!

best of luck to Jimmy...

Cheers

Phil
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    [/quote]

Nev Willis, was kind enough to let me have a guitar for Jimmy, but it has to be paid for soon.

[/quote]

Not sure I got it right... Jimmy Rosenberg should pay to play some maker's guitar? Are we kidding?It should be exactly the contrary... :shock:
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    alright!!! he's gonna be at samois!!!! YES YES !
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    Words cannot describe how overjoyed I am that Jimmy might be at Samois.

I have never seen Jimmy play in person and he is my favorite. Samois is going to be so incredible. I can't wait.
  • RKatzRKatz London✭✭✭✭
    Jimmy at Samois, can't wait, never seen him play, really looking forward to it.

All the best to him and his new start,

Robin
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I guess I picked the right year to go to Samois! Seeya all there. :-)
  • djangolindjangolin Memphis, TNNew
    Being new to the whole Gypsy Jazz thing - why was Jimmy in jail?

Thanks,

Mark
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Someone caught him using alternate picking...

I don't have the exact details, but it was apparently some personal problems with drugs/rehab. Here's hoping he's doing better.

Best,
    Jack.