DjangoBooks.com

Is there a word for this technique?

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
in Technique Posts: 1,854
Django used this technique sometimes, and Rino Van H. also does it to great effect... and I’m fooling around with it too, down here in Cuba where the weather is in the 80’s every day!

What is it?

Well, using two strings, you hold one note down (usually the upper string) as a kind of drone while you play a bunch of other notes on the other string...?

I’m asking because I like this sound and I’d like to study it more seriously...

Thanks,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    I think that is called pedal tones/notes.
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Will. Can you post a link to an example?

Have fun on holiday! :-)
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,730
    Like this?

Will you be doing this on the beach?
    steffo
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks, geese, I believe you have the correct terminology. i had always thought of the word pedal applying just to repeated droning bass notes, but there’s no reason it shouldn’t apply to other situations, too.

Yes, that Stochelo lick is another good example of the same idea, Buco, but I actually was thinking more along the lines of what Django plays as the intro for “Night and Day”...

Internet access here is pretty limited but I’ll post more about this when I get back home later this week...
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."