DjangoBooks.com

Top 15 must know song for jams please help add to the list.

Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
in Repertoire Posts: 86
So i will be going to Django Amsterdam where there are jams before and after the shows.
I would like to know the top 15 songs played in jams so i could learn the chords and a solo.
I think the list would start like this:
1: All of me
2: Minor Swing
3: Coquette
4: Les yeux noirs

Please help me add to the list :)
Thanks a lot guys!

Comments

• baenjobaenjo New
    5: Blues en Mineur (Swing 48 is basically the same, only faster)
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    J'attendrai, Je Suis Seul ce Soir, Douce Ambiance, Danse Norvegienne, Joseph Joseph, Belleville, Menilmontant, After You've Gone, Lady Be Good.
    always learning
    Thing is you need to try to find 15 most played songs in your area. You can just go to the jam and ask the organizer. With people here contributing to the list with the most popular where they play, you'll end up with 70 songs. Which isn't a bad thing, to learn all of those. But some of these mentioned almost never get called where I jam.
    Here Japanese Sandman gets called almost every time because there's a person that likes to play it.
    Definitely add I'll see you in my dreams to the list.

Here's a link to the list posted before that says these are the most common ones at jams in Europe
    http://www.djangobooks.com/forum/discussion/15478/
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    Thanks everyone! Buco, i don't have a problem with 70 songs haha, i probably learn the chords in 5-15 minutes and then i have it memorised, i also want to go to Samois this year so i will need to know more then 70 songs haha.
    Buco
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited December 2018 Posts: 461
    This is a good place to start: http://djangoinjune.com/get-ready/

This is what I did this summer and it has helped immensely.

After learning those songs, I started learning ones that were interesting to me.
    Feruza2134 wrote: »
    Buco, i don't have a problem with 70 songs haha, i probably learn the chords in 5-15 minutes and then i have it memorised.

With me it was always harder to maintain what I learned then learning in the first place. I'll learn the song quick enough, a lot of times I'll need only one time through, especially if I'm familiar with the melody already. But if I don't keep playing it often, after a while I'll have to go over it for a few minutes again. For a while a part of my practice was to keep a list of songs I learned and quickly go over them at least once a week to make sure I have them memorized.
    jonpowlwim
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • S@nderVS@nderV Rotterdam, HollandNew
    edited December 2018 Posts: 11
    Depends on the level, trends and even the area in The Netherlands (where I'm also from). But if I have to pick 15 I'd go for:
    All of me
    Minor Blues/Swing 48
    Them there eyes
    Coquette
    I can't give you anything but love
    Joseph Joseph
    Honeysuckle Rose
    Minor Swing
    I'll see you in my dreams
    Sweet Georgia Brown
    Les Yeux Noirs
    Douce Ambiance
    J'attendrai
    Bossa Dorado
    Django's Tiger
  • Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar
    Thanks a lot Sander, i am going to learn them all :D
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    Buco wrote: »
    Feruza2134 wrote: »
    Buco, i don't have a problem with 70 songs haha, i probably learn the chords in 5-15 minutes and then i have it memorised.

With me it was always harder to maintain what I learned then learning in the first place. I'll learn the song quick enough, a lot of times I'll need only one time through, especially if I'm familiar with the melody already. But if I don't keep playing it often, after a while I'll have to go over it for a few minutes again. For a while a part of my practice was to keep a list of songs I learned and quickly go over them at least once a week to make sure I have them memorized.

To the same point and then some, spending more time with a song helps one become more familiar and comfortable with soloing options on that tune. just because I can play a II-V-1 in one song does not mean the same thing is going to happen exactly on the next song, different key, different tempos etc. Knowing songs inside and out can be time consuming and also has to be practiced or approaches to songs can be forgotten. That said a fresh start on an old tune is also a worthwhile endeavor.
    richter4208Buco