DjangoBooks.com

Claire de Lune in Eb minor

in Repertoire Posts: 3
Have been haunted by Django's recording of this tune since 1970. I'm sure it's in Eb minor as evidenced by Django's last note in the intro (a 12th fret harmonic on the high E string). But most people seem to want to play it in D minor, which I feel loses it's warmth and darkness. Any opinions? I've been transcribing it in Eb minor.

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    Good question. Perhaps the D minor precedent may have come from Biréli (2004)?
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    Eb was probably chosen for the clarinet in Django's recording. Eb not a key all guitarists like to play in. Best I can come up with
    Thanks for your comments. Yes, Eb minor is 6 flats! Django could ace it in any key. Anyway, the clarinet does sound so good in all those flats.
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭
    It is definitely not a choice from the clarinet player or at least not for easy playing (Dminor is much easier). But the sound is definitely warmer at the clarinet in Ebm maybe that was the reason.

It could be that some people thought there was a pitch mistake.?