DjangoBooks.com

Any Pick Up recommendations please?

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody might be able to suggest an alternative to the AKG c411. I have been using this for years but have always found it slightly tinny. I do also have an Audio Technica Pro70, but I can never seem to use it without getting feedback issues.

Many Thanks!

Comments

• rudolfochristrudolfochrist Worms, GermanyNew Dupont MD-100
    edited June 2019 Posts: 140

I'm in the same boat. I've got an Prodipe Mic (similar to the Pro70) and a Pêche à la mouche and I want something in-between. I've read good things about the mic that Jokko is building over at Manouche Picks, so I try that one. Not sure if I will mount it internally as @Buco did (and has written here about it). I will see.

Since I don't have one yet, this is not really a recommendation. Just listing another option :) If you want the Stimer-wise electric sound, then I can highly recommend the Pêche à la mouche.

-Sebastian

• teafortwoteafortwo New

Thanks Sebastian,

The Manouche Picks one does look interesting, I might well give that one a go. The K&K also has very good reviews, I would if anybody can advise on whether this would be an improvement on the AKG.

Thanks!

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

The K&K does not sound good, I don't know AKG but I can't imagine the K&K being an improvement over anything.

If you play mostly lead, the Pêche à la Mouche is the best thing out there. Unfortunately, if you play a lot of rhythm, then it's not very satisfying.

When it comes to magnetic pickups, I don't think there's a bad one out there. Some differences in sound, pricing and features but they all do the job. Most microphones are good as far as sound, problem is the feedback. Pickup elements have their fans on one side, Wim on the other but he's not alone either. So listen carefully before you buy. Definitely K&K will sound very different from the AKG. Can't you out a preamp with EQ section to tweak the sound of AKG? You can read my essay on Manouche mic. I'll say that I didn't have that many compliments on a live sound before I started using it. My band mates pat me on the shoulder by saying "hey it's only as good as the player behind it", well it was the same player before too so...

But if you're otherwise happy with the AKG, I'd think the easiest would be to use a preamp or EQ pedal to get the tone you like.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • teafortwoteafortwo New

Thanks for your replies guys, much appreciated. I think a preamp is what I will get and stick with the AKG, thanks Buco. I wonder could a preamp also help with the feedback issue on my Audia Technica?

• edited June 2019 Posts: 4,732

It will help, absolutely. Look for a notch filter feature. Phase invert also helps with feedback but can really screw up the sound. I have LR Baggs and the Headway, both are great for getting rid of it.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • teafortwoteafortwo New

Great thanks Buco, the Headway is actually the one I was looking at, it has an xlr input which I need for the AKG.

Buco
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I bought the Audio Technical mic gooseneck holder and mounted it like this per Michael’s example. That pretty much solved the feedback issue. I improved the setup by purchasing the K&K Meridian mic clamp and attaching it to the lower edge of the guitar. Then I attach the mic with the gooseneck clamp to the it and I have more options for the same area position, but a more secure attachment. Sorry, don’t have a ready picture, but I’ll take one if you like. This setup gives me good natural sound and good volume without feedback. Loud enough for a noisy coffeehouse gig. If/when I play a bar or something, I’ll slap an Ischell on.