DjangoBooks.com

What's available in Gypsy/Django style tailpieces.....???

MisterKevsterMisterKevster Leeds/UKNew Handmade (RF Charle plan)/Altamira M30 Antique

Hi

.....looking for a Django style tailpiece....but must be supplied flat (not pre-bent!!)

I've spotted the 'Golden Gate' version......anything else out there please???!!

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 6,152

Plenty of options here:

However, only the Saga ones come flat. All others are pre-bent.

• MisterKevsterMisterKevster Leeds/UKNew Handmade (RF Charle plan)/Altamira M30 Antique

....reason for the 'flat' requirement....is that I'm hoping to experiment with the string 'break' angle, while maintaining the existing endpin position!!

If it's already bent....suppose dims might help??

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

To be honest I think that a lot of tailpieces are so flimsy that no matter what angle you set it at it will change when it's strung up. In other words if you try and increase the angle by having it lying close to the top the tension of the strings will raise it up higher as there is not enough strength in the metal to overcome that. The heaviest tailpiece I've come across and have installed is made by Ger Boonstra in holland. It's made from solid brass, is 3 times thicker than the Golden Gate tailpieces and has staggered string posts. The only downside is it only accepts loop end strings. They are supplied flat so you need to drill and bend it to fit. He offers two styles on his website.

always learning
  • MisterKevsterMisterKevster Leeds/UKNew Handmade (RF Charle plan)/Altamira M30 Antique
    edited June 2019 Posts: 19

Thanks for this.....co-incidentally, I'd spotted him earlier today!!

Actually, I'm looking to reduce angle....by raising the tailpiece (with a suitable fillet installed!)

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Out of curiosity, why would you want to reduce the angle ?

always learning

At present....break angle is around 14 degrees (E strings) down to 11 degrees (D/G strings)

Other discussions that I have Googled suggest no more than 12 degrees (???)

Inserting a suitable heightened fillet into the binding beneath the tailpiece would (intuitively) reduce break angle?????

A new flat tailpiece...will let me keep the existing endpin position without drilling an extra hole!!!

See my thinking???

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

All this talk about tailpieces brings up a question or two. Will a new DR nickel plated $39 tailpiece help the sound of my Cigano GJ-10? It doesn't sound that bad for a $250 (used) guitar, but could certainly sound better. Does anybody have any experience upgrading the tailpiece on a Cigano? Would a new tailpiece mount in the same holes?

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

In addition to just being stronger and more attractive, the Dupont tailpieces usually will noticeably improve the sound of the instrument as well. The problem with the Saga and other cheaply made Asian tailpieces is that they are very prone to resonate sympathetically causing a lot of unwated overtones and reverby "wetness." The Dupont tailpieces usually will dry up the sound of the guitar quite a bit.

MisterKevster I get your thinking. But I'm still not sure why you want to reduce the angle. Is it because your Google results suggest a lower string break angle is preferable ? As for the 'wetness' issue on a few of my guitars it's not the tailpiece producing this but the strings behind the bridge which produce this.

always learning

Thanks crooked....!!....Yeah...>7degrees...and <12 degrees (I'll have to find the degree symbol!!)

The current tailpiece is 'cheap'...and made from what looks like 0.4mm sheet...not sure if it's brass, or something with a look of brass. Might a better quality tailpiece improve the 'wetness'....wonder if it's worth trying?

What else can I really do about the strings behind the bridge....short of wrap 'em in something???

:)