DjangoBooks.com

What's the feeling on "Djangovision"?

JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
edited February 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 32
Right from the start, it's not your typrical gypsy-styled release. The instruments include an organ. Some of the songs sounds like they were released by organist Larry Young, not Romane.

I'm 4 songs into it and liking it a lot. It's just not what I expected. What say the defenders of the "Tradition"?

Comments

• aa New York City✭✭✭✭
    that's one of the more interesting "gypsy jazz" things i've heard so far. reminds me of bitches brew.
    Www.alexsimonmusic.com
    Learn how to play Gypsy guitar:
    http://alexsimonmusic.com/learn-gypsy-jazz-guitar/
  • JAMFJAMF ChicagoNew
    It does sound like a similar radical departure.
  • V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    I really like it. Especially the Rhythm Futur and Django's Tiger. Its definitely a very bold take on the classic django tunes.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Hi

For those who like the organ sound of this CD: You should try the CD that Martin Weiß made with the Organ Jazz Trio in 1996 (Edition Collage EC492-2, too. The title is "Hommage" and the CD is dedicated to Django. The musicians are Martin Weiß (violin), Jörg Seidel (guitar), Matthias Bätzel (Hammond B-3-organ) and Alexander Bätzel (drums). The tracklist includes several of Django´s compositions (Vette, Vouz et moi, Lentement Mademoiselle, Artillerie Lourde, Nuits de St. Germain, Troublant bolero, Double Scotch and Nuages), but also compositions of Martin and Jörg.

I like "Djangovision" although I am a confessing traditionalist. It is an interesting interpretation of Django´s music. I think Romane sometimes sounds a little bit like babik on this CD.

Best regards

Barengero
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Just in case, for those who are teutonically challenged, "ß" is a double "s" so Martin Weiß is Martin Weiss. I know that was probably obvious to most, but you never know ;)

I have often wondered why that character persisted in Germany but not in other countries, perhaps because in Germany old-style fraktur script was used until fairly recently?
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    nwilkins wrote:
    Just in case, for those who are teutonically challenged, "ß" is a double "s" so Martin Weiß is Martin Weiss.

Hi nwilkins,
    Thank you for that advice. I know that you spell "weiss" in other countries. The "ß" is deleted in germany since a few years, but in names it is still alive.

I wanted to give a reference on this CD, so if someone wants to look for it in the internet he ought to know the spelling that is usual in germany. If you look for this CD on ebay, for example, you will have a better chance when you type "weiß" instead of "weiss". (But you should look for "Martin Weiß" and not for "Weiß", because its the german word for "white". So you will get tons of underwear in your search result or - if you are searching only in the music category - you will get tons of Heidelinde Weiß LPs or LPs including the song "Ganz in weiß" which is defintely not gypsy swing ).

Best regards

Barengero
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Barengaro,

that's good to know, although I have never had trouble finding Martin's or Hans'che's albums using the Weiss spelling.