DjangoBooks.com

Stephane Wrembel Django L'impressioniste

Been meaning to post about this album for a while. The comment I made in another thread made me do it. Only in this case it's one guy and one guitar and it's big. I've always wondered what would it sound like if I could hear Django recorded with modern technology that captures the full spectrum of the instrument and bring you as close to the real person as possible. Well it's not Django himself but I can't imagine it being closer than this latest project from Stephane. All the Django solo guitar pieces in one place. The performance from Stephane is unreal. I can't think of a superlative that would do this justice. It's gold, it's a musical milestone, it's a masterpiece. The playing is incredible, every nuance is there, every note is perfectly articulated, it's transcendent. Beautiful. Love, love, love it. Check it out if you haven't.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
rudolfochristPetrovadrianMichaelHorowitzwimwhitneyguitarsJSantaPassacaglia

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭

I'll have to check it out. Did he just release a few videos of these on his youtube because I've seen those. They are amazing and you can hear all the nuances of the guitar.

Buco

The whole album is on YouTube as well, with a video of Improvisation #1, the rest is audio only:

wim
  • tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭

i just discovered this as well on Spotify and 2nd Buco's thoughts. makes you think about django in a different way

Buco
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"

Wow, that's interesting! Is it available on cd? I'm old-fashioned ...

Buco
  • edited December 2019 Posts: 4,734

I don't see it available on CD. But you could ask a friend to burn you a CD. If he has it available on YouTube he's not particularly concerned about piracy. It's worth tracking down. With all of his achievements so far and especially him always trying not to be a Django clone, I think this is his masterpiece.

edited December 2019 Posts: 393

Oh yes, that's a way to do it. I could buy the songs in electronic format and burn a cd myself. Thanks for the suggestion, Buco. I only want to avoid to have to move a computer, find a cable and connect it to a loudspeaker just to listen to some music. A cd would be so much more convenient for me. However, I had a look at Stéphane Wrembels website and it really says there is a cd: "Stephane Releases New CD DJANGO L’IMPRESSIONNISTE on October 18". So it's a bit mysterious. I looked at the french Amazon site and they only have the album in mp3 format, no cd. I will wait a bit and see if the mystery will resolve itself. A cd would be wonderful.

Buco
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

Funny to see different opinions: on the french forum, people are very much less enthusiastic about the recording than you are.

I didnt listen to it yet. I just wanted to confirm that there is a actual CD: he did a concert at the French institute with a CD sales.

Buco

Oh yeah, what do they say? Sounds like the case when people say that Beatles or led Zeppelin are overrated.

Funny, I haven't seen it being mentioned there at all, other than in connection with a workshop with Stéphane W. That is of course a sign of lack of enthusiasm, but I don't think this is what PapsPier meant.

Buco
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

It seems that people were not able to go past the difference in the playing between Django and Stephane. The comparison is not in favor of Stephane. They feel it sounds like an exercice more than music. (It is a rough translation, they might come here and share their opinion more accurately). It was mentioned in another non related post, not a dedicated post.

Buco