DjangoBooks.com

Glueing shims

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
Hey everyone. today myself and a guitar tech friend of mine (the guy that basically taught me everything I know about fixing guitars) shimmed up the bridge on my Hommage. I love it the action is really high but not so high were the guitar is hard to play just enough to turn it into a canon. I love the tone and the volume I have now. The thing is my friend wants to glue the shims to the bridge. I trust his oppinon on all things guitar concerned although I am not sure how much experience he has with Sel/Macs. So to Josh or any other tech minded people what is the consenous on glueing the shims to the bridge I am slightly reluctant, but that maybe just because this guitar is kind of my baby /workhorse rolled into one. any oppinions would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    We talked about this here somewhere before...but I'm too lazy to find the thread. I remember mentioning that a luthier here routinely used just a drop of plain Elmer's to glue shims on, saying that if you wanted to remove them later five seconds in a microwave would do it. Not any help if you've got a Bigtone, though. I think Josh had a better method...

Best,
    Jack.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Here's what I was thinking of:
    viewtopic.php?t=55
    Josh's advice I was remembering came from a different thread. The advice? Don't shim!

Best,
    Jack.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Yeah I purposely got one with out a big tone I just don't like the way they sound so that isn't an issue. Thanks for the info though Jack.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Supper glue. You don't need much. Just a drop or two. A wood glue like Elmer's would work but there is no need to use a glue that takes that long to set up. I use supper glue on all shim jobs. Also you want your make sure and cut the shim to match the area that is supposed to touch the top of the guitar. Don't just plaster a a sheet on. See the image for details. If you have questions let me know.

Cheers,
    Josh
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    As a note... Shimming at times is needed. i.e. bigtone or other reasons why a new bridge can't be used at that time. However if you are going to shim make sure they fit well and glue them. I recommend that you do not shim a bridge but if you must then at least do it correctly. :wink:

Cheer,
    Josh