DjangoBooks.com

Persistent Buzzing on low E string (not the nut or tailpiece)

Hello all, I've been trying to figure out why my guitar has a persistent buzz when playing the low E string open. I am sure that it's not the tailpiece nor the nut and there is plenty of relief from the truss rod so the neck is certainly not too straight. The only thing I am thinking is that the zero fret may not be tall enough but if you have any ideas I would highly appreciate it thanks, Dean.

Comments

Raising the zero fret took care of it for me, only in my case it was the high E.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

Yeah, maybe the zero fret is a bit low for the low E string or conversely the first fret might be a bit high if it is only buzzing on the open string. But if you lower the first fret then it may buzz on the second fret, etc....

If you take it in to a luthier they should have precision straight edge tools they can check and see if you have high or low frets.

Also, are the strings old?

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos

Thanks @Buco@Bones

Strings are not brand new nor are they particularly old probably had him on there about a month. I appreciate the advice

You can cut out a shim made out of a soda can to troubleshoot. I won't sound good but it'll tell you if that's the culprit.

constantine
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel