DjangoBooks.com

Shame this bass forum petered out so soon

wolftonewolftone New
edited December 2006 in Bass Posts: 14
Speaking as a bassist who has never had the opportunity to play GJ baass, but who plays a lot of 4 to the bar swing basson early swing tunes, many of which are played by GJ bands also, I thought the threads that were going on were really interesting - shame it petered out so soon. BTW, I recommend pizzicato strings for GJ, as they are somewhat percussive and short on the sustain side IMHO. For uprigtht bass use the amp that colours your signal the least. ie use settings that do not sustain the notes artificially, and at the same time does not emphasize any mid range nasally thump on the attack of the note - the ever evasive sonic clarity! Best I have heard (and seen) is that Rosenberg Trio Samois video with Berelli and Christian Escoude sitting in.

Comments

• AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Hey!

My wife and I had a baby (our third) five months ago, so we have been, how to put this, "extremely occupied." But I hope that the Bass Forum didn't "die" because of this birth! I take little proprietary interest in it, and don't presume to run it. So if you guys want to keep the bottom end up, please do so!

Now that my family is humming and we've settled into a stable routine again (and can sleep!), I'll be posting a bit more here, some long-overdue bass lines for valses and whatnot, and I hope that more of you

* kevbass, for example*

can make the conversation more of a fun walking line than a series of predictable Ando half-notes. And please, feel free to post whatever topics you like. Requests for transcriptions are great, too -- but go easy on me, at least. Give all the hard ones to kevbass!

Cheers,
    Ando
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    OK, I'm going to transcribe some long-overdue lines for "Montagne Ste. Genevieve" and "Djangology." If any readers out there have any source recording recommendations, I'm all ears.
  • A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Check out http://www.urbbob.com for a complete listing of bass info, including books, builders, dealers, everything! Fantastic resource for anyone looking for bass info.
    Bob is great to deal with and has links everyone from Europe, the States and Japan...

A.K.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Ando wrote:
    OK, I'm going to transcribe some long-overdue lines for "Montagne Ste. Genevieve" and "Djangology." If any readers out there have any source recording recommendations, I'm all ears.

For MSG my vote is for the Matelo Ferret version. There is that Djangoesque, Bachian perfection to it that the others don't have, and probably has the greatest odds of being picked up straight from Django himself, historically speaking.