DjangoBooks.com

Removing/shimming D-500 Buzz / Fret buzz

Hi there, first post from a first time-time GJ guitar owner (long time owner of other types of guitar). I just got a D-500, and love the guitar, but am getting some upper fret buzz. The luthier at the shop where I got it said the frets are level and it does not need fretwork, and that this is a seasonal heat and humidity problem. He said the solution is to try more humidity and shimming the bridge. Humidity helped a little, but I think I do need to raise the action a hair. He's backlogged, so rather than wait several weeks for him to do the work (or another luthier), I decided to try to do the shimming myself (he gave me a piece of veneer). I do set-ups and adjustments all the time, and am comfortable taking this on. However, I was not able to get the bridge off using just light force, and am uneasy about pulling harder on it. Is it just a matter of it being in there tight between the mustache pieces and my needing to use more force, or could it be glued down (or stuck to the finish)? I would appreciate advice on how to get this bridge off safely.

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• PetrovPetrov ✭✭

The bridge is not glued, unless a previous owner did it for some odd reason.

The D-500 has a very shallow neck angle and is prone to some buzzing in dry weather. Could be a slight hump on the 12th fret where the neck meets the body as well.

The bridge should come off and the tightness could be a indication that the top has come down a bit forcing the mustache pieces against the bridge.

I would try to get it off with more force unless you feel its been glued. Try the veneer pieces and it should help.

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

Yes, just put a little elbow grease. Are you leaving the strings on or just slackening the strings? It may just be stuck in place. The D500 has a matte finish, right? I don’t think it will damage it by being a little assertive with the bridge.

a common trick in a pinch is to just shim some picks under the bride to get the height. Dunlops are good because you know how much you’re raising it until you can get a new bridge.

• John_AJohn_A New

The buzzing is at the 9th and 12th frets. What you (Petrov) are saying about 12th fret hump echoes what the luthier told me. Humidifying for a couple of days (both a room humidifier and a sound hole sponge) has mostly taken care of the 9th fret, but the 12th is still noticeable. So I do think the humidity diagnosis makes sense, as does the shimming idea. This guitar has a glossy finish, FWIW. I have no reason to think it was glued by a prior owner, but did not know whether or not they were glued at thea. It's a new guitar, or at least NOS, as it has been sitting in this shop for a long time. Thanks for the ideas, and I'll try again (a little harder).

• BonesBones Moderator

Slack the strings. The bridges typically are not glued down. They are supposed to just rest on the top. Be sure to use some blue painters tape or something to mark the original position or you will have to readjust the intonation.

• John_AJohn_A New

I little more force, plus the benefit of a couple of days of humidifying did the trick. Got the bridge off, shims in, and bridge back on, and am now buzz-free. I can now go back to driving my family up the wall with Nuages ...

Thanks a million, gents.

John

mac63000PetrovBones