DjangoBooks.com

upstrokes

yannickyannick Antioch, CA✭✭
edited July 2006 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 16
hi, I just got the book recently and i have a question about upstrokes, couldn't find an answer in previous post. I just want to make sure im getting this right. after the downstroke when moving back up, do you just lift the hand back up from the wrist in the same trajectory as it came down? and does the pick stay at the same angle as it did going down? I'm a bit confused with the description in the book about angles, you mention pick the string at 45% but is it the angle of the pick in the hand or ...?

PS:
great site, i can't believe i only just found it

thanks

yannick

Comments

the pick should follow the same path as a downstroke.

the pick should attack the string at a 45 degree angle. that is, if you're looking straight down the neck from the headstock, the pick should fall through the string at a 45 degree angle.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    thanks capilano...that's right!

'm
  • yannickyannick Antioch, CA✭✭
    thank you .

yannick
    one more question that relates, when doing tremolo picking should the movement from the wrist be up/down or more of a rotation toward the chest ?

thanks

yannick
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'm not sure what you mean by "rotation toward the chest." But, I'd say "up and down" more accurately describes good tremolo technique.

good luck!

'm
  • DiggerDigger New
    I'm not sure what you mean by "rotation toward the chest."

Perhaps the wrist action used by Flamenco guitarists when playing a sustained/rolling rasgueado. This technique involves a sort of clockwise circular motion of the wrist.
    that is exactly what i meant, I have been playing flamenco for a few years and i guess if it is more up/down then i believe I was doing it wrong (which hopefully explain why im having such a hard time with it :-) ).

thanks,

yannick