DjangoBooks.com

Online workshop with Benji Winterstein (and others)

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
in Technique Posts: 2,161

Hello! During this moment of crisis, some musicians are suffering terribly. I'm lucky that DCMS is still keeping me alive, but some who are hardest hit are those in the Sinti community. I know of some facing homelessness because all they ever did was gig. Some of these players had lots of gigs, that they suddenly lost.

Some reached out to me and told me they wanted to do some teaching. I tried to encourage them to do it on their own but they really wanted to do it with me, so I thought about hosting online workshops. This will be done privately on my Youtube channel. I will translate, and explain anything that needs to explain, and people can type their questions.

The first artist will be Benji Winterstein. He is the nephew of Hono and is one of the biggest talents of the new generation. He's played with many of the greats and is always seen accompanying people in his hometown: Samson Schmitt, Amati Schmitt, Brady Winterstein, Dorado Schmitt, Mayo Hubert, etc...

I'm new to this technology so there may be some issues. For this first one, we'll make it officially one hour, but because unforeseen circumstances may happen, we will of course extend the time if needed.

If anyone is interested, you can email me at misterdmmc AT G M A I L. C O M

please prepare questions in advance, and i'll try to do my best to go through most if not all of them or do my best to make it run smoothly

Since it's live you can also ask live questions if we don't have enough. I can also take the lead and ask questions

I will translate, and if needed, I will also explain things if he 's going too fast..

This will be all done privately through my Youtube channel. and after the workshop, you can still access the video with your private link. Furthermore, if need be, I will also transcribe relevant examples on Soundslice.

If this works well, I can organize other workshops as well with big artists in the Sinti community (or outside). Rocky Gresset will probably be the next one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8z5buqwi-o

billyshakesScoredogrudolfochrist

Comments

• ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020 Posts: 871

What an opportunity for people to get tips from great players they would not have access too.

Not only that you can slow your lesson down to 1/2 speed from youtube.

A big question is are these private or classes or can both be done?

When Amati was in town I took a private lesson from him and have it up on my private youtube and ween nuggets continually from it.

If done right you can get a years worth of material to work on in an hour but again that has to do whether this is private or classes.

I would love to see this pinned on the top of the forum so people know it is there on a regular basis.

richter4208
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Hello , it will be a private Youtube live which means only people who register can access it, but they have it for life, and if there are relevant examples to transcribe, i'll transcribe it on soundslice

Benji is first, Rocky Gresset has expressed interest... I can potentially get almost any GJ player to do it... maybe including Bireli , Angelo , Stochelo... but before I go for the super big name players, I need to sort out some issues..

Here's an example of a Youtube live I did last week with Tcha and Christiaan, you can check out the live chat box on the right side if you're on a desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ute8ppWrtvA

Bucorudolfochrist
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

I see now this a group thing...it would be cool if you could offer both, obviously a private lesson would cost more, maybe put aside half a day every so often to do this...and allow 3-4 private lessons (chosen first come first serve or draw straws or whatever to see who is selected to receive the private lessons) and one group lesson...the teacher gets a bit more this way...the question Denis is how your compensation is worked in for a half day or more of work.

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

As to when this is happening:

"Sunday: 6pm France time, 12pm New York time, 9am LA time. Midnight in Taiwan and 1am in Japan (so actually Monday)."

Didn't see it in the above posts (maybe I just missed it) so there it is. :)

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Deeerp yes, you’re right mister Juan.. how could I forget.

There’s still space for about 5 more people if anyone sees this . It’s happening in less than 3 hours.

Scoredog, most wouldn’t want to do private lessons, definitely not Bireli or Stochelo unless you make an offer they can’t refuse haha