DjangoBooks.com

The Bireli Sound

Hi,

I really like the acoustic sound of Bireli when he plays his Hahl, I think it sounds modern but still with roots in the gypsy trad sound.

So here are my questions:
- I guess he's playing with bronze strings instead of Argies... Any idea about that and about the string gauge used?

- if he's playing with bronze strings, do you know if the guitar has to be build with that in mind (like particular bracing, solid versus laminated back,...)

Cheers

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    You can use bronze strings on any Gj guitar as long as they are not too heavy. Just get a set that matches the weight of a GJ string set i.e. 11-46

Other things to keep in mind when hearing his tone.

He uses a thinner pick thus making his tone a bit more bright

The recording sound could be coloring his tone a bit. I have never heard Bireli play unplugged, live so hard to say what his tone really is.

On many DVDs silver looks gold so the strings might not be bronze if you are looking on a DVD. I don't know what strings he uses... Never really thought about it till just now. But I have looked at others on stage under lights and on DVD and had to look twice because the coloring was off due to lights.

Just a few thoughts...

Cheers,
    Josh
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Not really sure, but I think Birelli uses Argies 011 with a not so high action (around 2,5 mm at the 12 th fret).
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    yes, Bireli uses Argentine 11s - he was using bronze strings on his Hahl for a bit, but he has switched back. For picks he uses the light pink Dunlop 1.5mm picks with the "500" tortoise shell.

however, I feel it necessary to point out that Bireli's sound comes from his technique and his hands far more than from his guitar, so don't worry too much about trying to copy his equipment.
  • JazzyYogiJazzyYogi New
    Thanks for your inputs guys!
    nwilkins wrote:
    however, I feel it necessary to point out that Bireli's sound comes from his technique and his hands far more than from his guitar, so don't worry too much about trying to copy his equipment.

Well, for sure I agree with you that sounds comes first from the hands of the player but his sound is really different when he plays his hahl compared to the Dupont used on the Vienne Dvd for example. In fact, I do not plan to buy a Hahl but l'm looking for a guitar in the same vein, that sounds less nasal than a typical Selmer, more midrangey I guess, and still competent in the gypsy style... His Hahl sometimes sounds a little too metalic to my ears, but it might be the pickups or other factors...

Cheers
  • lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    l'm looking for a guitar in the same vein, that sounds less nasal than a typical Selmer, more midrangey I guess, and still competent in the gypsy style

Hi:

Sounds like me... :lol:
    Though I dearly love the Selmer sound , I am totally nuts over the Favino sound..more musical to my ears.

I bought a Dell Arte Hommage a 1 1/2 years ago , and couldn't be more pleased.The folks I know who own real Favino's have also been suitably impressed.Though my point is the style of Gypsy jazz guitar (Favino ) and not any particular manufacturer.

Try one...it may be what you've been looking for .

David
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I second that opinion - go for a Favino or a Favino style guitar - that's what you want :)