DjangoBooks.com

Buzzing below bridge on Altamira Model M

Hey all!

I recently got my first gypsy guitar from ****, an Altamira model M, which I have really been enjoying.

Today after not playing for about 3-4 days, there was a noticeable buzzing noise coming off the guitar. It isn't fret buzzing, the noise seems to be coming from the metal string fixture below the bridge.

It has been a near record breaking hot and humid week here in Montreal, so I'm assuming the humidity is to be blamed in some way, however our apartment is air conditioned and humidity controlled...

Any tips on how to fix this? Should I just play with the bridge position a bit?

Thanks all

Comments

You mean the tailpiece? Common remedies to quiet down the tailpiece is sticking a ball of poster putty under, weaving a strip of velcro through the strings at the tailpiece and similar ideas. Of course you should first look if something didn't get damaged, lose string post, nothing is cracking, if it has a wood insert maybe it started to unglue and so on... Call Tommy too, he's helpful.

vanmalmsteenPassacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Ok thanks a lot for the info!

I'll start be writing to Tommy!

• BonesBones Moderator

Loose moustache end? They are typically just held on with double stick tape. Gently grasp them and see if they wiggle under gentle pressure.

• BonesBones Moderator

Hey DrBrain. What was it?

mac63000
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,471

Same problem here. Same guitar. It's the tailpiece. Not bad enough to bug me yet.

-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • BonesBones Moderator

Does it have the felt or leather below the tailpiece? Also, the insert could be loose. A little bit of gel superglue in the grooves in the plastic insert could secure it. Don't use too much and try not to make a mess though.

Passacaglia