DjangoBooks.com

Menilmontant, So-Di sessions, musicians in a box, plus new one

edited September 2020 in Welcome Posts: 4,735

A little something we recorded recently, my first socially distanced music video:

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
billyshakesTwangrichter4208MarkAMichaelHorowitzjonpowlBonesChristopheCaringtonScoredogvanmalmsteenand 2 others.

Comments

• pmgpmg Atherton, CANew Dupont MD50R, Shelley Park Custom, Super 400, 68 Les Paul Deluxe, Stevie Ray Strat

Totally excellent Buco!!! Lightening could have been a tad better - but sounds great!

Can you share details of how this was done including recording process, mics, software, cameras, etc.?

How long did it take to do this?

Buco
    I'm always interested in jamming with experienced jazz and gypsy jazz players in the San Francisco - San Jose area. Drop me a line. Bass players welcome!
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 4,735

Thanks man! Started with me recording a rhythm track, then bass then soloists. Not sure how long they took, I'd guesstimate the total around 8 hours with recording mixing and editing. The rest of them are actually the same family, Gekker; Suzanne, Chris (trumpet) and Jason (bass). They're all classical musicians, top shelf. I'm very lucky to play with them. Not sure what mics they use, I'm using Neumann TLM 102 into a Scarlett interface. I used my phone, just a front camera, I imagine they did something similar. It's a lot to keep a track off when you're recording both video and audio and want both to be a decent quality. I know on my solo and rhythm fills track there's a lot of outside light bleed which I noticed and it bugged me but I figured if I start dealing with that I'll never be done so I said to hell with it. Suzanne mixed the audio in Reaper and Jason did the video but I don't know what he used.

thanks again

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Great playing, Buco! Your solo, your rhythm, your tone, all of it is top notch. A pandemic gem.

Buco

Thank you Mike! Music to my ears haha :)

• gitane007gitane007 IrelandNew

Lovely!

Buco
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Two enthusiastic end-of-summer thumbs up here in Niagara!

Hey, who arranged this? That horns-in-harmony part was hip, kind of Bix-ish even...

Congratulations, Buco, you have created something beautiful in an ugly time...

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

One enthusiastic thank you back to you Will!

To make things easier to communicate since it's remote, Suzanne proposed we take a version by Dan Levinson as a basic structure. I came up with the guitar intro. The horn arrangement has a Django connection but I asked Suzanne for details.

Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Ok Will @Lango-Django I found out the horn arrangement was inspired by Django's solo on the same song from Rome sessions.

Also @pmg they used MXL large condenser mic into a Scarlett interface and iPad for video. The video was done in Sony Vegas Pro.

Another one, J'suis Pas D'ici by Thomas Dutronc. I provided rhythm guitar:

MichaelHorowitzLango-DjangobillyshakesAndrewUlle
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Nicely done Buco!

nice project to have during COVID.

Buco