DjangoBooks.com

De Armond Rhythm Chief on Di-Mauro-style top?

Hello All

I'm looking for some tips on installing a Rhythm Chief on one of these: https://www.jwc-guitars.com/guitars/catania-swing/ .

Before I commit, has anyone put one of these pickups on a Selmac or derivative flat top? I already have a BigTone at the bridge but want to be able to toggle between a (sort-of) acoustic sound and an obviously electric one - or possibly blend the two to compensate for the toppy piezo where I've no access to good EQ and compression. Not sure if there's enough space under those strings, though.

If anyone has done this (and the guitar has lived to tell the tale) please tell all!

Cheers 😁

Comments

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I'm not sure about the JWC, but I have a vintage Dimauro and owned the Dupont version. The Rhythm Chief is too thick for both...there's not enough clearance between the guitar top and the strings.

this Miller pickup is awesome! sounds great, looks great, super slim. There's a number of mounting options available: https://www.miller-age.ch/en/tonabnehmer-serie-4815

or a Krivo works well.

I've tried practically every pickup, peche, stimer, etc. and none of them fit great except these two ^^. My favorite option has been that Carlos CS sensor on the dimauro, and I just add the krivo and blend the two if I need more oomph at a gig.

some ridiculous combinations going on here...for testing only!

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I also use a Krivo.

This is another similar guitar made for me in the Di Mauro 'Chorus' style by Tony Petrarca a few years ago and the Krivo is the only pickup I found that fits. I usually play it 'unplugged' anyway but I like to experiment with various pickups sometimes to look for a variety of tones (usually just through a Pignose portable amp).

Many people claim the Shadow AZ48 is the best jazz style end-of-fingerboard floating pickup and certainly it is my #1 for a couple of archtops but it is a tight fit on this guitar. It measures 11.3mm thick but because I did not want to drill holes in the fingerboard sides I tried it using the putty that came with the Krivo and it is just a little too close to the strings. Depending on neck angle and bridge height if you have even just 1mm more height than I do it would fit and that is what I would recommend.

• Many thanks everyone. I was hoping against hope on the Rhythm Chief (for the looks as much as anything else!) - glad I didn't pull the trigger in the end. Keep healthy, DB

• V-dubV-dub San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020 Posts: 325

I have done it, I'm a big DeArmond fan so I personally dig it, with the understanding that as a magnetic pickup it won't sound super pretty, but if the slightly tube overdriven late Django sound is what you're after it does a fine job.

I will say that they are quite thick and many GJ guitars don't have enough clearance to fit one without buzzing on higher fretted notes, so you have to slide it down towards the sound hole more. That's probably a larger consideration. They are meant for archtops. You won't have that issue with the Krivos.

For reference:

first set of pics: Miller Fleche d'or

second: reissue Dearmond

third: Krivo nuevo

Krivo is the thinnest by maybe 1.5mm. Then the Miller. Dearmond has barely any string clearance. The Krivo is pretty convenient, and it somewhat blends in with the sunburst top. It's also the lightest, so it doesn't deaden the top and it has some microphonic characteristics to it. The Miller is the best sounding if you want that single coil through a tube amp early jazz sound. It also has a mini volume control which is great, and it looks killer.

V-dub