DjangoBooks.com

Blue Drag lyrics

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited November 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 1,752
Hey guys,

I heard a vocal version of Blue Drag at work last night, and I know I have a version kicking around here with lyrics, but I can't find it...anyone? Our lead player is thinking of taking a crack at it.

Thanks,
Jack.

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    That is probably the version by Freddy Taylor's Harlem Swing Men. It's pretty easy to find. There is also a version by Fletcher Henderson's orchestra, I think.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Scot, I'll track those down. The version I heard was actually by a band from New Orleans called VaVaVoom...the DJ mentioned they play a couple of time a week at The Spotted Cat if anyone down there wants to check them out. I just found the link to their CD; they play quite a few gypsy jazz tunes:
    http://cdbaby.com/cd/vavavoom

Best,
    Jack.
  • AndoAndo South Bend, INModerator Gallato RS-39 Modèle Noir
    Jack

I passed by the Spotted Cat one night while these guys were playing. It's a cozy little street, and the doors to the place were open. The band gets crammed into a corner window facing the street, so you can see everything. They had a lively crowd and seemed to be hosting a nice little party. I listened for a minute on my way to somewhere else and was just pleased to hear melodic accordion, pumping bass, and Selmac guitar. What a good sound it is... People seemed to enjoy it a lot.

Cheers,
    Ando
  • joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
    We've done Blue Drag with lyrics for a while now. Becky the bass player sings it. Go to www.djangochutney.co.uk and click on the Demos link for a video or mp3.

regards

Joe
    Thanks, Joe! Did you guys pull those from any particular recording? That is, are they the original lyrics, or something you put together from various sources?

Best,
    Jack.
  • joefjoef Wales, U.K.New
    Originally we found them on the web, listed as from the Freddy Taylor recording, which we didn't have then. So Becky just fitted them in, in her own way. Have you heard the Freddy Taylor version? Here it is for research purposes:
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    .....Joe - Thanks for supplying the Freddy Taylor recording. It is a classic of the era and Freddy is so good with his phrasing and timing. I'll be singing this one for sure!

.....Rocky
  • viperviper VermontNew
    Hey,

Who composed Blue Drag?
    It's a Fletcher Allen tune if I remember right.
  • djangadjodjangadjo NebraskaNew
    Jack wrote:
    It's a Fletcher Allen tune if I remember right.

maybe

Josef Myrow
    (1910 - 1987)

Mother Wore Tights (1947) Born in Russia. Composer of scores, stock music and songs for American films from 1937. Songwriting credits include "You Make Me Feel So Young", "Five O'Clock Whistle", "Autumn Nocturne", "Nowhere Guy", "Somewhere in the Night", "You Do", "I Want To Be Teacher's Pet", "Give Me the Simple Life", "Wilhemina" and "Blue Drag." His partnership with Mack Gordon resulted in two Oscar® nominations.

Nominated for Music Best Song 1947: MOTHER WORE TIGHTS "You Do" - Music
    Nominated for Music Best Song 1950: WABASH AVENUE "Wilhelmina" - Music

2 nominations
    87 Rue de Dunkerque: "The bow must go up and down."