DjangoBooks.com

How to get this tone?

Feruza2134Feruza2134 The NetherlandsNew Phoenix D hole guitar

Hi guys,

I was wondering how does one get the tone that Adrien has in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UldW0yRsFmQ

I really like the distorted sound.

If anyone knows anything please let me know!

Comments

• I would assume that it is either a small tube amp, a drive pedal, or a combination of both.

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

So for sure he was using one of these:

http://www.nuanceamp.co.uk/pics.html for a amp.

Then some sort of stimer style pickup - likely modern recreation. Possibly a Yves Guen ST48.

Then, you know crank the amp and play a bit hard until it sounds like that lol. (I'm going to guess there was no pedal)

B.

wimBuco
  • Great work, Ben. Looking at those, an amp with a single EL84 power section low powered and one of these single coil pickup should get you there.

bbwood_98
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited August 2021 Posts: 1,457

Any magnetic pickup (Stimer, Peche) and any small tube amp. No pedals.

(There is also a microphone in front of the amp, here, but it's not changing the sound)

Note: when you first turn the amp on, you won't get the overdrive right away. But after a few minutes of playing, once you see the tubes glowing red hot, then you can get that delicious growl 😈

You might also enjoy this vid:

bbwood_98rudolfochristBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Ah hell, I bet that thing is so much lighter then my Ampeg . . . lol.

b.

• FYI - I only suggested a pedal as you can certainly set a drive pedal into a solid state to sound pretty close. Have done it and have played through my multiple low wattage tube amps on gigs. If I'm looking for that sound and don't want to add gear (WHAT???!!) or weight, it's not hard to achieve.

Buco

Jim,

YEAH!!! Just obtained my first few pedals since Late 90s . . A tube screamer clone, a freeze pedal, and a vintage dearmond passive volume (though brings me to a question - anyone good who works on pedals/amps that you know of?)

B

• VebjørnVebjørn Western NorwayNew AJL 503 XO, JWC Modele Jazz
    edited August 2021 Posts: 13

I for sure agree about the amp. I have a Nuance B18-10, and I can get a sound very close to that using the peche a la mouche pickup. Sadly Nuance Amps (as stated on their page) has discontinued their production due to Brexit. I bet there are used ones out there though, and there's always peche a la mouche amps. I see there are some interesting suggestions about pedals here too.

Here is a video of Steven Reinhardt (nephew of Angelo Debarre) playing with a 🤘 Marshall 🤘 amp using what looks like an old or vintage Stimer pickup:

https://www.facebook.com/Reinhardt.Steven/videos/908719716722956

bbwood_98
  • Let me check some sources out to see if they are still working. How precious is your amp? If it's a nice old american tuber, I'd go http://www.skipsimmonsamps.com/. I'll DM you about pedals.

@jim

It's not that old, nor nice enough to be worth shipping to CA for a repair/tube balance. (Reissue Ampeg J12T made in St. Louis MO). But, it's nice enough and actually sounds pretty great right now with a very slight ping on G notes above the g on the 3rd fret of the e string and higher.

My vintage volume pedal could use a good cleaning. . . including the pot!

@Vebjørn - yeah I just saw that! super cool video. Stephen is such a great guitarist too!

I've actually run my Gypsy Guitars through the Ampeg with a GoldTone Banjo Pickup - that works surprisingly well too . . . Lol!

Vebjørn