DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Stimer vs Yves-Guen Stimer

Does anyone have an opinion on these pickups (one vs another)? Currently use a Dupont Stimer, but the magnet is too narrow for my strings, so I'm either losing amplification of my high or low E strings depending on placement. Not sure if it's just my particular pickup or am I better off buying a Yves-Guen?

Also causes a rattle in my bottom E and A strings at the 10th to 12th fret so I have to use the goopy stuff to hold it tight which is a pain in the ass....

Thoughts?

Comments

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Get a Krivo. I have had a vintage Stimer, a Dupont Stimer and a Miller Stimer. IMO, The Krivo is a better pickup.

jonpowl
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I'd recommend the Klieo 47. I think it's better balanced than the Dupont Stimer reissue, I can't comment on Yves Guen's version.

always learning
  • TwangTwang New

Someone shared this review a while back and it’s pretty fabulous.

I agree with crookedpinky. The Kleio just about wins tonewise by a nose for me. Also it is generally considered to be the best regarding balance. I have a Peche and I like it. Stimer does pretty well in this review I think. I don’t like the Krivo but each to their own.

Are you aware that you have to permanently glue a plastic mount to the inside of your guitar with the Guen. Probably wouldn’t bother most people but some might not like it.

billyshakesaceBillDaCostaWilliams
  • everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I have a dupont Stimer, and it's ok...still has the hot B string. I'll probably sell it at some point.

I also have a krivo nuevo single coil that works well, but I only sporadically use it. It is a good backup pickup and works on most guitars. I also have a miller 4815 which I think is pretty fantastic: http://www.miller-age.ch/en/tonabnehmer-serie-4815

For piezo/natural sounds, I have a carlos CS that I use on a dimauro which I really like the sound of. On my dupont, I have an internally mounted Schertler dyn-c that came with my guitar when I got it, which actually sounds super good.