DjangoBooks.com

Any experience with Schertler X Series Amps (David X & Jam X)?

Does anyone have experience with the Schertler X series of amps? More specifically the David X and Jam X?

I played several gigs this past weekend with another guitarist who was using a Schertler Jam X and I was very impressed with it compared to my AER Compact 60/4.

I am trying to determine whether it is worth it to spend the extra and get the Jam X or if a David X will be good enough. In the meantime, I picked up a Jam 100

I will be using a Carlos Juan CS Sensor or a DPA 4099 through the amps.

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• aceace Buffalo, NY✭✭✭✭

I used a David for years. It was capable. I actually am about to put it up for sale. The reverb no longer works, but I'm willing to let it go for $400.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I love my David which I picked up 5 years ago. It need some factory service a couple of years ago, but it's been a workhorse throughout. It's clear, does not color the sound, but offers a lot of versatility. I put myself and my violinist through it together and we both sound great. Also have used to plug in myself and vocalist. Have used with with Audio Tech lavalier on guitar as well as peche. Currently using with Carlos Sensor. Best acoustic sound through amp I've gotten to date.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited October 2023 Posts: 6,152

@geese_com Generally the David is too small and under powered for larger noisier gigs. It works fine in a quiet coffee house or at home but struggles to fill larger spaces. The speaker is only 6.5" and while it's a 100W which seems like a lot compared to the Compact 60, it's not nearly as efficient. The AER amps are crazy loud for their size and power, but they achieve that by cutting nearly the entire bass response in favor of mids. As mentioned above, the Schertler amps are dead flat so they don't color the sound. However, it takes a lot more power to achieve that but no doubt the sound quality is far superior.

The JAM should work well for you but ideally I've always found that the 10" on the Unico to be ideal for guitar. It really reproduces the entire range of the instrument and is especially noticeable when playing chords/rhythm which just sound glorious compared to the 8" JAM.

And BTW, thanks for the wine cooler at DiJ! 😁🍷

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited October 2023 Posts: 459

You're welcome, @MichaelHorowitz!

To bring this thread full circle, I am now using Henriksen Bud 6 for smaller gigs and an EV Evolve 50M for the bigger gigs that the rest of the band also uses.