DjangoBooks.com

Djangos other guitars

What other guitars did Django use throughout his career? The Selmer 503 is his famous one throughout the late ‘40s.

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

He has been photographed with guitars by Carbonell, either bought or borrowed from Marcel Bianchi, Di Mauro in a posed photo, but maybe not on stage, Rio at the Nice Jazz Festival in '48 and Geneva in '49, Gibson ES-300 in USA, Mogar in Rome in '49 or '50, Gretsch Synchromatic in an arranged jam with Harry Volpe in USA and probably other Selmers and Maccaferris. many of them borrowed of course. That is just from memory, I am sure there were many others too which someone will post here.

Paul PomposoWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsBones
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

And then there was the Strat of course.......

Just kidding !!!

Paul PomposoWillieCraigHensleyBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesBonesMichaelHorowitzAndyW

Here is one that got my attention.

wimWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesChrisMartin

Not sure about that one, but it may have also just been borrowed for a photo? Twelve frets to the body and a profile that looks similar to the Bucolo/Genovesi/Napoli guitars that AndyW and myself have been discussing elsewhere. There seemed to have been many made with that shape (a shared mould maybe) coming from various names in Sicily. Just a guess though.

Paul PomposoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

It shares the round hole and soft / dropped shoulder of the Catanian P Bucolo&& guitars, but they are smaller across the lower bout and slightly shorter length than Selmer macs. Other features like the bone/ivory bridge, dark binding and plain pickguard extended to the edge are slightly unusual, but it does look possibly Sicilian or “Sicilian emigre in France” to me, fwiw.

As Doctor Doolittle himself might say-

“I mean, I’ve seen the world I’ve been around 

I could tell you stories That would quite astound you

I’m not a fool I went to school

I’ve been from Liverpool to Istanbul

I’m no fool And anyone will tell you That I’m sharper than a knife

But I’ve never seen anything like it In my life! ”

WillieBucoChrisMartin
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

Django is far right in this photo. Joseph has the odd looking guitar. There were several photos taken at this session and one with the same personnel and instruments posing with Bricktop (Ada Smith) and Mabel Mercer.

BucoAndyWBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristPaul Pomposo