DjangoBooks.com

Rosenberg DVD

viperviper VermontNew
edited March 2005 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 51
Can the Rosenberg DVD be purchased in the US?

Thanks,

Jared

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Unfortunately I don't believe so.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • drollingdrolling New
    and I just don't get it, because the CD has been available (really cheap, too) for ages. A guy at the record shop told me that DVDs are sometimes produced by other companies with different distributors. I continue to wait...

On another note, I recently ordered "Django's Legacy" on DVD from Amazon.com and was dissapointed to recieve a VHS video tape. No problem, they told me - and sent ANOTHER copy on video tape. Now I have 3. These kind of things only seem to happen with Gypsy related material. I'm still trying to find a brand of strings where the quality control is consistent. Can you imagine what the rock&rollers would say if they got a dead string in every pack?
  • viperviper VermontNew
    I just got a set of Argentine 1510MF's. The g-string popped at the loop as soon as I started turning the knob!

Anyway, I really want that Rosenberg DVD. Where can I get one?
  • yellow_pyellow_p Temple City, California, USANew
    I got my copy from <a href="http://www.musicexpress.com/&quot; target="_blank">www.musicexpress.com</a> (just search for "Rosenberg Trio"). I think it's up for $30 or so (no Euro conversion). Of course, as it's not pressed in the U.S., the DVD itself is Region 2, so you'll need to have some type of region-free player to enjoy it properly. On top of that, it's encoded in a PAL video format, so even if, let's say you copy the DVD to show to your cronies, it may not play in most U.S. players.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    my copy is all region so it's playable on all systems... are you sure yours is region 2?

for the PAL format that's correct... although most good DVD palyers nowadays are able to read both NTSC and PAL....

I got my DVD directly from the rosenberg trio website, but it is no longer available there i believe due to the passing of the webmistress
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    I am pretty sure the DVD is region free - are you just assuming it is region 2 because it came from Europe?
  • yellow_pyellow_p Temple City, California, USANew
    nwilkins wrote:
    I am pretty sure the DVD is region free - are you just assuming it is region 2 because it came from Europe?

You can turn your "pretty sure" into an "absolutely 100% certain" [I actually did dig it up later on]. It is indeed all region, but the PAL format is still a no go for older home players and PS2s.
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    that's true, but PAL/NTSC makes no difference for computer DVD players :)
  • drollingdrolling New
    Viper, you can get it right here in Michael's store or from Alain at Gypsyjazz. I finally broke down and ordered it intending to watch it on my computer, but when I popped it into my $39 Magnasonic player - It worked! It also plays on my girlfriend's $49 Koss. It will not play on my older & pricier Toshiba. Manufactured in europe with the word 'PAL' printed on the disc, it works just fine with this new generation of really cheap north american DVD players.

Seeing as this is a review section I must mention that it's a great concert. 18 classic Django tunes and enough close-ups of Stochelo to actually learn from. Of course I would have preferred one long static camera shot of his hands, but this is entertainment, not an instructional video. There's also some bonus material consisting of MTV style music videos.

Who knows if it will ever be released here. I'd say that it would be worthwhile to go out and get the cheapest available player just so you could sit down, guitar in hand, and watch this amazing concert.
  • andyandy New
    I just read your post and tried my Birelli dvd in my $39 Target dvd player and it works beautifully. And that after months of sitting in an uncomfortable chair. Cheap really is cheerful.

Cheers,
    Andy