DjangoBooks.com

Used Dell’Arte US made or…

tnhughestnhughes San Diego, CA, USANew Stringphonic 503 Advanced

So I just came back from Paris and am enthralled with Manouche. I am currently shopping for a guitar, looking at the various options as starter instruments and think I settled on an Altamira M01 petite bouche over the Eastman but my local shop has suddenly thrown a wrench in the works. They have a Dell”Arte Dark Eyes model that just came in. $1299 with case. Are these instruments worth the couple hundred more than a new Altamira? Would I notice a difference?

Any help would be appreciated.

Todd

Comments

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

Play the guitar and let your hands and ears tell you what they think. (They probably need to confer with your wallet as well.)

As far as "value" goes--is this a Kinnaird-made instrument? Those were very respectable guitars. I'd probably still be playing a Dell'Arte Sweet Chorus if I hadn't found a Dunn Daphne.

• tnhughestnhughes San Diego, CA, USANew Stringphonic 503 Advanced

It is a Kinnard. Not Sure the age. Looks pristine online. My problem is I don't have enough experience with these instruments to know what sounds "good".

Todd

That's a great price for a handmade guitar. Do you know anyone who plays the style that you can bring along?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    edited February 2022 Posts: 13

No unfortunately. I did get to handle the instrument today and it does sound good. Solid wood is solid wood. It has some checking and crazing of the finish as a 15-20 yr old guitar might. The bridge may need some work and the tailpiece is tarnished. It does come with the original hardshell case. I have some questions regarding the bridge on these instruments. Are the mustache markers supposed to be affixed to the top and is the bridge block supposed to be on top of the mustache parts or between them? It also appears that there is perhaps a Big Tone installed. I reached out to the Kinnard company regarding info on the Dark Eyes model. Again I am new to these instruments and any help you can give is appreciated.

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

Yes, mustache markers are attached to the top of the guitar and the bridge sits between them, not on top of them. The bridge is not attached to the top but is held in place by the strings. Tarnish is normal on these tail pieces.

Seems like good deal for that price.

There's not much to know about the Dark Eyes model. Its an American made selmer copy with solid rosewood back and sides. Most gypsy guitar have laminate back and sides, but solid wood is good also.

Buco

Thanks Craig. I’m just not real knowledgeable about these instruments. I’m trying to learn as much as I can. I appreciate your help. The next appropriate question would be who in Southern California works on and has knowledge of these guitars?

Todd

edited February 2022 Posts: 13

So I suppose I should also add a question...Craig's comment was subtle but I think I'm just now getting it. Would an instrument like the Altamira be a better buy because it's a laminate box rather than a solid wood box. I come from the standard steel string world and solid would is king. American made solid wood is gold. I'm learning, and I don't know what I don't know. When I hit "post" on this message I'll turn around and search for some of this info. Thanks again everyone.

Post Script Edit: There are posts upon posts questioning solid vs laminate. Nothing definitive decided in any of this threads except that Selmers traditionally had laminate back and sides and some of the top luthiers still use laminate back and sides, then tons of opinions regarding tone of both.

It's about the builder's approach to either and either can sound great. Most of the hand made guitars in this style are built with laminated back and sides. But these are a whole different species than factory made ones which are typically used as a cost saver. The guy that made my guitar, Ivanovski, is charging more for a laminate models vs solid wood. Because his solid woods are ready but he's building his own laminates. Some builders aren't even offering solid wood models, all are hand made laminates. They're always solid tops. Even among the cheap models I don't remember the last time I saw a laminated top. But in this genre even the cheap ones aren't cheap compared to flat tops or electrics.

You can find loads of good info about properties of laminates vs solid wood here on the site (just search "laminate" or variation of). I remember reading that they are lighter while stiffer and offer good projection when done right and might play a role in that dry sound where solid wood might have more overtones.

MikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Charlie AyersCharlie Ayers Salt Lake CityProdigy

A very knowledgable source our information ion Sel-Mac guitars in S. Calif is **** of ****. If Im not

mistkanen he helped run the Dell Arte company and would be a good source of infor on the particular gutiar, too.

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus
    edited February 2022 Posts: 186

Just going to weigh in as someone who has played and owns an Altamira, sold an Eastman, and played a few Dell'Artes.

Go for the Altamira.

It seems like this is your first gypsy guitar. You may stick with the style, you may not. Altamira M01 is the best bang for your buck starter guitar for Gypsy Jazz - bar none.

Let's say you don't stick with the style. You're down less than a grand, and the Altamira is pretty easy to resell due to it's lower price. Dell'Arte... not so much.

But let's say you do stick with the style. You'll eventually pine for a nicer guitar, more authentic sound, better playing, maybe an exotic wood... and you're going to feel that way with the Altamira, or the Eastman, or the Dell'Arte. So why spend the extra money? Plus, when you do buy that nicer guitar, you now have a fabulous travel / camping / lender guitar in the Altamira.

Lastly - get it setup by a reputable repairman, better if they work with Selmer style guitars. A good setup will make or break your experience, and even the best guitars need them. For setup just google ****, there's a place in L.A.

vanmalmsteenBillDaCostaWilliamsJSantatnhughes