DjangoBooks.com

Heretical question... GJ purists: please do not read...

OK, you were warned... please no hate mail... but...

Has anybody ever tried one of these gizmos with your rhythm guitar to emulate a bass sound?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I haven't seen it used to emulate a bass sound, but Stephane Wrembel (and quite frankly many other players) use that or the OC-3 to create doubling and almost 12-string tones from their guitars. I think these pedals add a great deal of texture to the palette and I like seeing it used in settings where we may not expect pedals to be used.

Buco
  • JDRookeJDRooke New
    edited February 2022 Posts: 87

Yes, but that pedal doesn't sound good. There are better ones. I enjoyed using the EBS Octabass.. a pedal from Sweden. I used to play solo shows with a looper and used it on some tunes. Off topic point.. my rule with the looper was that I had to have two things going at once and would usually start off singing while laying down the rhythm.

rudolfochrist
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭

I used a Boss OC-3 with AJL Q&P practice guitar with Stimer on the bass track here

billyshakesBucorichter4208bbwood_98Lango-DjangoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Nice playing!

Hey, I remember you, Kimmo… you and AJ stayed at our same riverside hotel at Samois way back in 2016!

To be honest, I could barely hear the “bass” on your recording… any chance you could “turn it up to 11”…?

Thanks,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Love it @kimmo! Kiitos for making the video.

Hey, Will, the bass is right there when listening on full size speakers.

Whatever gets the job done. I used that Boss pedal in my rock days to fatten up some riffs. I read for bass emulation on an acoustic, newer digital pedal do a much better job of tracking the notes.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Hey, Will, the bass is right there when listening on full size speakers.

Oopsie, yes indeed it is!

It was inaudible on my iPad... sorry Kimmo.

Will

Buco