DjangoBooks.com

Hungaria Christophe changes

krzyskrzys New

I understand the progression from All of me, Django's tiger, There them eyes, etc. and that the progression in Hungaria is a variation of it. Can somebody please explain how that works?

Comments

I'm not sure what exactly you mean bur for example if you look at them through numbers, you'll see that 1 6 2(dom) 5 shows up all over the place and variation of if.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited May 2022 Posts: 1,457

All Of Me (in C) you have this last 8 bars

F   F-  C   A7  D-7 G7  C  (G7)  

Hungaria (in G) you have this last 8 bars

A-  C-  G   Bbo A-7 D7  G  (D7)  

^           ^

Some jams might vary a little but I guess this is what most people are playing. It's the same thing except in two places I marked with ^, if you are transposing exactly you would get C and E7 there.

First chord is the ii instead of the IV, which is a really common substitution - relative minor. Pretty much same chord on a different root, and it doesn't really matter which one you play, if you're not the bassist.

The other one is a bit more tricky because it's hard to imagine Bb dim7 as some kind of wacky E7 chord. I'm not really sure what to say here, but a lot of ppl will play that G as a first inversion (so B in the bass), and then the Bb dim is a nicer passing chord to use between that and the A-. Usually when I'm trying to figure out which is "correct" I'll look for hints in the melody notes, unfortunately it seems like Django has already given up on the melody by that stage and is just playing licks .. :)

The "Bireli" arpeggios which every man and his dog plays on that part seems more like a Bb-7 than a dim, so again a chromatic passing like B- Bb- A-.

billyshakesrudolfochristBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbbwood_98