DjangoBooks.com

Jacques Montagne the 1st

stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
edited February 2005 in History Posts: 386
One of the most intriguing passages in Dregni's evocative book is that mention of a 16 year old kid called Jacques Montagne(not the later one) who impressed Django--but died young
I almost certainly know the sad answer--but just by chance ARE there any recordings and do we know anything more about him??
Ted? Scot?
Best
Stu

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Stu.

I'd asked the same thing not long ago, and got that sad answer. The good news, though, is that we probably won't run into this trouble down the road; now, it seems like every gypsy guitar player is followed from birth with by a horde of gadjo camera teams!

I'd love to learn more about Montagne, too, if anyone's got more information.

Best,
    Jack.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    Jacques Montagne (petit) was for two years member and solo guitarist of The "Swing Quintette de Paris" with Leo Slab (Slabiak) on the violin, Djouan Sollero, guitar and Noye Malha (guitar) until he died in 1942 at the age of 15. I don´t know any recordings of the "Swing Quintette de Paris" either.

But as far as I know Leo Slab is still alive. He gave an interview to Mathilde Febrer for the "French Guitare" magazine (issue octobre-novembre 1999). In that interview he mentioned Jacques petit Montagne and said that the band dissolved after Montagnes death.
    Perhaps someone could ask Leo Slab if there are resp. has been any recordings with Jacques Montagne Petit.

Best regards

Barengero
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    I've got a photograph of him with the Leo Slab group somewhere.
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    I've got a photograph of him with the Leo Slab group somewhere.

The Photograph is in Francois Charle´s book about the Selmer Maccaferri Guitars, page 87.

Best

Barengero
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    Jack wrote:
    Hi, Stu.
    . The good news, though, is that we probably won't run into this trouble down the road; now, it seems like every gypsy guitar player is followed from birth with by a horde of gadjo camera teams!

LOL Jack
    That made me giggle!
    keep it up
    Stu