DjangoBooks.com

Players that use Favino style guitars?

Any professional players out there known for using Favino as opposed to Selmer styler guitars?

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

Reinier Voet here in Amsterdam.

dellartehommage2005BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakeswim
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Well there's Adrien Moignard who used one for years up until recently. He always sounded good with that guitar, hopefully he didn't get rid of it.

BillDaCostaWilliamsdellartehommage2005
  • nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

Gwen Cahue has been playing a 70s Favino almost exclusively for the past several years.

dellartehommage2005
  • VebjørnVebjørn Western NorwayNew AJL 503 XO, JWC Modele Jazz

Andreas Öberg played with a Favino sized AJL Gypsy Fire for years.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Colin Cosimini, a UK player, played an old Favino. It was, if I remember correctly, a maple bodied oval hole. I thought it sounded pretty bad.

always learning
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Robin Nolan played a Favino for years And his Favino was purchased from Stochelo Rosenberg). Doug Martin plays a Favino ( that he bought from me. I have played Favinos from time to time). Michael Horowitz played a Favino for quite a few years. Jimmy Rosenberg played a Dell Arte Favino model in the past.

dellartehommage2005
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass

Doesn't Doug Martin use the modern JP Favinos like the Jazz S Michael has for sale? Only asking because iirc, the dimensions are closer to Selmar-style vs. the larger Jacques Favinos.

dellartehommage2005
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

Yes.

voutoreeniedellartehommage2005
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • dellartehommage2005dellartehommage2005 Northwest NJNew
    edited July 2022 Posts: 28

Thanks so much for everyone's replies! I just bought my first gypsy guitar, a 2005 Dell'Arte Hommage D-Hole, and I think it sounds great. Honestly, I cannot tell any difference between a Selmer and Favino style. However, I have only heard a Selmer online so maybe the sound difference would be more obvious in person.

I have heard that modern players are not using the Favino style as often. Why is that?

• scotscot Virtuoso

Anecdotal knowledge says that the original larger size and slightly different shape of the Jacques Favino guitar came from a suggestion by Matelot Ferret in the early 60s - he wanted more bass than a Selmer gives, or maybe more versatility. And he did usually play a Favino for the rest of his life. His brothers generally (but not always) played Selmers, his sons often played Favinos.

A good Favino is capable of a multitude of sounds, making it a very good guitar for a musician like Matelot Ferret, a professional guitarist who played every kind of music. The best example I can think of of the Favino sound is on Matelot's legendary recording "Tziganskaia" - Matelot with his typical clear and dark sound, and Boulou with his brash and staccato approach.

Why are Favinos less popular today? Musicians have a lot more options, I guess. Styles change, and with that comes a need for a different sounding guitar

billyshakesmac63000KlausUSBillDaCostaWilliamsmanusheDoubleWhisky