DjangoBooks.com

You need to burn your gypsy jazz guitar!

TwangTwang New
edited August 2022 in Technique Posts: 410

Anybody else getting a bit sick of guitar click bait titles on YouTube? They often have little or nothing to do with the actual content, you have to watch a couple of adverts to find this out. It can be such a waste of time. I wonder if it will eventually have an adverse effect cos I find myself ignoring stuff that might be very useful cos of the "sensational" title. Just as I am regularly informed, via email that there are many Thai 18 year old young ladies desperately wanting to make my acquaintance... They must have heard me play 😚

mac63000littlemarkBucoadrian

Comments

• mac63000mac63000 Tacoma, WANew Geronimo Mateos Jazz B

Clickbait is certainly annoying, even if the content is good, it ruins the effect for me. And often times someone will spend 15 of their 16 minute video blabbing away. Unfortunately a lot of the gypsy jazz stuff out there has a clickbaity title and image, probably to try and stand out and not get lost in the sea of other less than mediocre vids.

That said, a few ways to get around some of the noise... Ignore the "recommended videos", meaning don't click them, and install the "AdBlock for YouTube" extension on Google Chrome. That will at least make your experience slightly more tolerable.

Twang

Take Lucas Brar. The guy is one of the best guitar players I've ever heard. YT pushed his videos on me for months before I clicked on one. To be promptly blown away with his playing, his insight and the message. Just great, nice person. Unfortunately I still rarely watch his videos because of the goofy thumbnails that for me are a turnoff.

A Django fan too, he recently called I'll See You...the greatest guitar solo of all time

Twang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

So Django's down to one finger now... Damn!

TwanglittlemarkBillDaCostaWilliams

Yeah sometime ago he made a video about Django explaining how he played with only two fingers so I suppose with the newer one he felt he needed to up the claim and take away the finger

Twangmac63000
  • adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

The clickbaity images/titles are definitely horrible. It's effectively the 2010s/2020s version of selling out. Rather than staying true to your art (or your teaching), you compromise for the purposes of larger revenue/audience.

Adrian

BucoTwang

That's the thing, and my biggest petpieve. You get to the point where you start working for YT algorithm more than your music. Even without the clickbaity titles and thumbnails, people are pressured into buying all kinds of gear: lightning, cameras and so on and became videographers as much as musicians. I don't know, maybe that's just how it works and becoming an old guy. I'm aware that some of these people are making an actual living out of YT, once you pass over a million subscribers I suppose, and that's great. But who's really benefiting more, the artist or Google? I suppose it's not that much different than any other marketplace. It just irks me a little. At that point I don't think you have much time left to make music outside of cranking out weekly videos. I've heard some of them say so in the video. This one guy, also amazing guitarist, said he's turning down session work because he doesn't have any time left. You constantly need to chase content. Content...if there is a word I detest more, at least in the context of this market...

TwangBillDaCostaWilliamsadrian

Couldn't agree more. And yet clickbaity stuff still doesn't seem necessary (from an outsider perspective), especially for niche content like this where most of the time we're going to search directly for a specific song, by the specific person we're looking for. Now it's and generator and the people creating content have been sucked up into it. Such a shame.

This topic reminded me of this guitar that popped up today on Kijiji. He took your advice seriously.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city-of-toronto/gypsy-jazz-guitar-in-fire-burst/1628139210

BucoTwangwimbillyshakes
  • TwangTwang New

Haha well done finding that!

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Maybe CvH can chime in here, now he goes full ham and is probably one of the most egregious offenders on YT, but in his older videos on his channel he was not doing that stuff. It would be interesting hear if the silly titles and thumbnails measurably increased engagement (and income) or not?

My guess is that people already into Django would mostly find the clickbait distasteful and off-putting, but perhaps folks previously unfamiliar with GJ might accidentally stumble upon this style and get interested. A net win?

richter4208