DjangoBooks.com

Headstock repair

ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Good friend made an unfortunate error and his guitar took a tumble, broke the headstock in the middle at about a 50 to 60° angle. As I look at it, there is a lot of material to work with, and I think it’s repairable. Modern wood glue‘s are stronger than wood, and a good glue and clamping would work, I think. Anybody else repair a headstock like this?

haven’t taken it to a local luthier yet, but it’s not a very expensive guitar. I am thinking of experimenting on my own.

Comments

That's a real bummer. If you're going to experiment, I'd try routing a channel in the back for a piece of carbon fiber rod that would act as a splint. This coming from a completely unqualified person but sometimes you have to think unconventionally.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

Most of the YouTube videos I’ve seen on headstock repair recommend just cleaning out any splintered debris that would get in the way of a clean mesh of material together with wood glue. I need to examine it more, though, to see if the connection will be solid.

Buco
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

Picture?

• BonesBones Moderator

Save every piece of wood. MUCH easier to glue a piece back in than try to make a new one.