DjangoBooks.com

Which pickup(s) for my Dell'Arte Hommage?

I have a Dell'Arte Hommage and I'm looking for a pickup for it. It's a Favino style guitar. I see that some people have two pickups (e.x. a Bigtone and a mic) and it seems that may be the most flexible option? I'm not too concerned with price but I'm not looking to spend like $1k+ on some pickups either.

I actually plan on using this guitar as an all-purpose guitar for my senior year at my university — big band, small ensembles, duos, etc. It may be a little out of place at times but I love playing the thing so much.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

It all depends on what you like. Do you want an internal pickup and have access to a luthier that works on gypsy jazz guitars? Or do you want a removable pickup?

I like my Pecha a la Mouche, its a single coil clip-on. I also like my Krivo micro-Manouche, it's a humbucker mounted with putty. They both sounds great and require a preamp, mostly because the chord isn't long enough if you're going into the house system/PA. You can plug them straight into a combo amp with no problems. I'm not a fan of the Krivo putty system because it's messy and an added step to set-up and clean off your guitar, but the pickup is great. (Krivo should develop a clip-on plate accessory that allows for easier install)

I'm less familiar with internal pickups, but if you search on this forum there's tons of info.

Best of luck with your senior year!

dellartehommage2005
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

From the environments you hope to play in, it sounds like feedback is going to be an issue in some of them. Certainly the volume requirements for big-band playing are a challenge for an amplified acoustic instrument. Even my mag-pickup-equipped acoustic archtops are subject to problems in high-volume settings, and I suspect a gypsy-style guitar is going to be even more vulnerable. So I'm guessing a humbucking mag pickup and maybe a pre-amp with a feedback-suppression function is called for.

My Michael Dunn Daphne has a B-Band system, but I would not bring it to the jazz gig I sit in with, where it would have to contend with two horns and a drumkit--it's fine for duo/trio/quartet amplified-acoustic settings, though. I did once try a different Dunn petite-bouche with a Bigtone that sounded good (if not particularly acoustic) at high-ish volume against the horns and didn't feed back, so that path might work for your guitar.

dellartehommage2005
  • dellartehommage2005dellartehommage2005 Northwest NJNew

Thanks for the insight! I did not expect the guitar to have an issue with high-volume settings when it is being amplified. Is the feedback the main issue?

Does the Bigtone pickup needs to be installed by a luthier? That's not an issue as I have a great luthier to whom I bring my guitars.

I am okay with either a removable pickup or an internal pickup. I do have a luthier that I use for anything like this. I'm mostly just concerned with the best sound quality.

So with the two pickups you mentioned, you plug into the preamp and plug the preamp into the amp?

Thanks!

If you get a surface contact mic, a clip-on condenser mic and a magnetic pickup then add a preamp with notch filter, phase control etc... features you need to control the feedback, you'll be covered in every possible scenario and can still do it well under 1K. That's what I had until I sold my small condenser mic. But now I'm missing that part of my sound so might be looking for another.

dellartehommage2005
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

With these external pickups I usually plug into a preamp and plug the preamp into a sound system input. I don't usually use amps when I gig because its an added piece of gear and more difficult to find a balanced sound on stage. Too often people turn up their amps too loud on stage and it becomes a cacophony of sound. I like the simplicity of plugging into a sound system if it's available and balancing the sound that way, but monitors are helpful so you can hear yourself and each other.

When I play at home or in casual settings where I want amplification, I'll plug the pickup directly into the amp without a preamp. You could also plug into a preamp first and then plug the preamp into your amp to help shape the sound. Ultimately you need to try out all these options for yourself and find what works best for every playing situation and group.

I also love playing acoustic in bands when the situation allows. Probably my favorite option.

An experienced luthier is recommended for installing any internal pickup. Not a simple task.

dellartehommage2005
  • richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Posts: 521

Having played in the college band setups you have I'll say the gypsy guitar will be perfect for almost all of these gigs. For big band especially and more than acceptable for small ensemble. You really want to achieve as acoustic sound as possible for big band so should be good with selmer guitar.

Since the investment is going to be more the worth it for the amount you'll be using it I'd look into having a bigtone installed. It's good enough for Stochelo, Paulus, Robin Nolan etc etc. The magnetic pickups like the Kleio 47 (I have one) are very good but also a VERY specific kind of tone. Almost totally feedback resistant. In a big band setting you'll definitely not want to be dinking around worried about feedback.

For now I'd worry more about getting one of the above first. You can always get a mic down the road.

dellartehommage2005BucoBillDaCostaWilliams

This is very helpful! So you're saying I should look into the Kleio OR the Bigtone, right? Like you wouldn't have both on your guitar? I see the Kleio is a clip-on so that is certainly an attractive option.

When you say "add a preamp" do you mean like a pedal? Thanks!

They usually come in a floor pedal form, without the familiar foot switch. LR Baggs Para DI is an industry standard, that would be a place to start your search.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel