DjangoBooks.com

Sept Song Of The Month--Sweet Sue

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
in History Posts: 380

This month's tune is technically called "Sweet Sue, Just You", but more commonly known as "Sweet Sue". It was written in 1928 with the music composed by Victor Young & the lyrics by Will J. Harris. My favorite Django version was recorded in Paris on 3/6/37 with Jerry Mengo on vocals. It's up-tempo and swings hard. Here's a link to that version:

Other notable versions include those by Bing Crosby, Fats Waller, Eddie Lang with Joe Venuti (another favorite of mine) and Miles Davis. Classic TV buffs may know that there's an early I Love Lucy episode where Lucy, Desi, Ethel & Fred sing it together. My trio does it in G, I'll post the chart that we use later. I particularly enjoy soloing over the downward chromatic movement on the B section.

WillieBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMichaelHorowitz

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I like the B section variation that starts:

G Bm. Dm. E7

BucoMikeKbillyshakeswimrudolfochrist

In our band, we incorporated both flavors. G to Bm etc... during the melody because I feel harmony is much prettier that way. Then during solos we did the chromatic thing.

billyshakesMikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I first heard this song through Pearl Django. I remember talking with Dudley Hill about it, and he is featured on this version from their Swing 48 album. They originally combined it with Avalon on their early album Le Jazz Hot, but he commented how the tempo they were playing it during this Swing 48 period was a bit faster and so the two songs didn't mesh as well anymore. I think he liked the song a lot.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsMikeKspatzo
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Another great tune! Thanks for the Jerry Mengo reference as hadn't heard of him before. Great vocals! Here's a cool version by Barney Kessel.

BillDaCostaWilliamswimMikeK
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Here's the chart my trio uses:

Jojo
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

I've always enjoyed singing and playing this song with others. Thanks for posting the alternate G Bm Dm E7 beginning of B section for melody and vocals. I like it and will show that to fellow musicians!

Rocky

MikeK
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,454

Yes, G B- D- E7 bridge is the way! If I see you do the Django fakebook thing, you can be sure I'm making a mental note of it, and will be advising Santa Claus to put you on the naughty list.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsMikeKBucorudolfochrist
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

Wim - Not sure what you mean about the Django Fakebook chart but when I brought this song to our group, the other guitarist didn't like the C7 in 6th measure of third A section so we use D7. Also we don't play the A-7 in 6th measure of both A sections. We hold the G(6) into 1st beat of 6th measure then hit the D7 last beat. Works for us!

Cheers, Rocky

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

B25Gib, the chart I posted earlier in this thread is the Django Fakebook chart.

I guess I better start playing the B section as pdg and Buco suggest. I'd hate to make it into Wim's report to Santa.

BucorudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliams

Once you try you'll never wanna go back.

MikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel