DjangoBooks.com

SWEET & LOWDOWN

edited August 2006 in Repertoire Posts: 7
Hi everyone, im fairly new to gypsy jazz.. just ordered andreas oberg's gypsy fire book so am looking forward to that.. mostly play a mix of Joe Pass Tal Farlow kinda stuff.. One of my favourite films is Sweet & Lowdown (Howard Aldens playing is awesome) and i was wondering if anyone knew of any tablature/music for any of it floating round the web? I started transcribing the solo Emmet plays to hattie but im at uni at the mo so im soooo busy (and lazy).. If you havent seen the film i'd highly recommend it..
Well, this is my first post so i'll introduce myself.. Hi i'm charlie! Look forward to any replies

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    There's a book of transcriptions available right here in the shop:
    lowdown.jpeg

Also check the link I posted here:
    http://www.hotclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2313

Best,
    Jack.
    wow! awesome! thanks alot jack! gonna check your link in a sec too.. man, i'm gonna spend far to much money this month!
    thanks again
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    I think this is a fun book to mess around with. Be forewarned, many of the solos are not entirely accurate (which is odd considering Howard Alden transcribed himself?). Some of the best bits from the soundtrack are omitted completely, like "Limehouse Blues/Mystery Pacific". For some of us amateur (like myself) the chords can be really difficult to figure out; and there's no chord chart included... Ah well, it is still a great peek into how the guy constructs his solos and has many great riffs to practice forever.
  • ElliotElliot Madison, WisconsinNew
    Does it have that piece from that scene where Penn (Alden) blazes out a fantastic solo for a barn full of people?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes...that's 12th Street Rag and it's in the book.