DjangoBooks.com

Lollo Meier Quartet in the UK

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited October 2006 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 765
On my recent trip to the UK I was fortunate to catch the Lollo Meier Quartet on 7/7/06. First time I've seen Lollo play and he was brilliant, wonderful gypsy guitarist and fantastic composer. He was joined by Dave Kelbie on rhythm guitar, Andre Donni, Clarinet and Andy Crowdy, bass. Andre, from Belgium, did a grand job on clarinet, with a very mellow tone, playing some remarkable simultaneous melodies with Lollo. Dave Kelbie and Andy Crowdy provided wonderful accompanyment...with some great solo work from Andy and solid rhythm from Dave.

Lollo is an incredible guitarist, a very melodic player, in the style of Fapy.

A relatively small, but enthusiastic audience was at the Beaufort Hotel, Ormskirk, (near Liverpool)...there were only about 50 people there, in a room which can hold about 150. Lollo played 2 sets:

1st set:

Dinette
Step Swing*
Crazy Rhythm
Some of these Days
(Unknown Bossa tune)
I Love You
I Surrender Dear
Melody for Le Quecumbar*
I Won't Dance

2nd set:

Roses*
Minor Swing
Lollo Walz*
La Route De Paris*
Daphne
Nuages
Hondarribia* (title of Lollo's new CD)
I've Found a New Baby
China Boy

Encore was a solo by Lollo.
* indicates composed by Lollo - Step Swing and Roses are both brilliant swing tunes, looking forward to them being released on his next CD?

Whilst at the gig, I bought his current CD "Hondarribia" which is simply brilliant, featuring Lollo and Andre playing many wonderful songs. (Hope Mr. Horowitz stocks this for you all soon!)

Cheers,

Phil

Comments

• PowerfibersPowerfibers Buffalo, New YorkNew
    That's great Phil. Lollo at Django in June was awesome, and we hope to see him again real soon. His melodic approach is a real breath of fresh air, and his tunes are very nice. Dave Kelbie is a monster player as well. He cooks.

Thanks for the post,
    Bob
    Bob Maulucci
    http://www.djambossa.com
    New CD out now, "Moonflower"
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    I saw Lollo and his band on 15/7/2006 in Hildesheim (germany) at the 6th Hildesheim Gypsy Jazz Festival. He was one of the highlights there. I bought his CD too, and I hope I´ll get his first one some day.

Best,
    Barengero
  • suesue New
    Coming soon!!! :wink: